Nipples Sore One Year After Breast Reduction Surgery, What can I Do?

I had a breast reduction a year ago. I'm African American so I got keloids around my nipples and under my breast as well. The keloids hurt from time to time, but what is more painful right now is my nipples. I fell asleep on my stomach two nights ago and since then my right nipple has been very sensitive to touch and pressure. Its actually a shooting pain throughout my breast. Is there anything I can use or do to soothe this?

Nipple sensitivity after surgery

The right recommendation requires a correct diagnosis.  Hypersensitivity of the nipple itself can be from infection or nerve injury.  If the pain is new it is more likely that you have clogged gland or duct or a small band of scar tissue may have torn while you slept on your stomach.  Scar pain is a completely different problem and may respond to steroid injections.  Ask your surgeon if you are a candidate for systematic desensitization.

Keloids are Painful But Can be Treated

• Thick and painful scars after surgery can occur to anyone with any kind of surgery.  African American patients do have a higher incidence of this occurring.  The keloid or hypertrophic scars are always best treated at their beginning and often these problems begin to arise after the normal weekly or monthly visits to your surgeon have stopped.  If you feel your scars are getting redder, thicker and more sensitive call the doctor and get help right away.  Steroid creams of different strengths are used effectively.  Some doctors choose to inject the steroids into the scars but I find this very painful to the patient, harder to manage the end result and often a reason patients do not return to the office for further treatment.  See your surgeon about the scars that are bothering you and the sooner the better.

John K. Long, MD

Sore nipples post reduction

I think you could try a medrol steroid pack or even soem injections with long acting anesthetic agents or even a combination of steroid/local,You may also try a course of anti inflammatory meds such as advil or ibuprofen.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Nipple sensitivity

It sounds like your sensitivity is due to pressure from the way you were lying on your chest.  More than likely it will get better over time.  If concerned, see your surgeon.

Nipples Sore 1 Year after Breast Reduction?

Based on your description, the discomfort you are feeling is related to an episode of pressure (falling asleep on the stomach). Generally, based on this mechanism of “injury” I would expect the hypersensitivity to be self limited ( resolved over the next few days).  In the meantime the use of anti-inflammatories ( assuming you are not allergic)  may be helpful.

Of course, as always, direct examination by your plastic surgeon may be more helpful than what I can do for you online.