I had breast augmentation (400cc silicone mod+ unders, crease incision) 5 days ago and ever since my nipples have been very puffy and swollen. I'm very concerned about it. Will the swelling go down. Also, today my nipples started becoming very sensitive to temperature and my clothes brushing against them. Can you explain why the swelling might be happening?
Nipple Swelling - Will It Go Away?
Doctor Answers 9
You have not included a photo and this makes the judgement somewhat restricted. However, this may be the case with your results.
If you examine your pre op photo, you may see a puffy nipple complex or a "herniated areola" that can occur with several kinds of conditions including tubular breasts. You may find that this was seen preoperatively and now it is accentuated by the augmentation. If you had it preopertively, it will not go down toatlly. If you did not, then any swelling in your nipple complex will settle down.
It is not uncommon to have a change of sensitivity of the nipples after an augmentation but this should settle down over time. It would be good to send in a picture so we can more accurately asess your situation.
Steven M. Lynch, M.D. Albany, New York
Swelling and Recovery Post Breast Augmentation
- Stiffness, swelling and bruising in the chest region: These are normal experiences as the skin, muscles and tissue heal. Pain medication and muscle relaxants will help you cope with any discomfort. Consistent sharp pain should be reported to your board-certified surgeon.
- Hypersensitivity of nipples or lack of sensitivity: This is normal and will gradually resolve over time.
- A mild to severe itchy feeling of the breasts is possible as healing progresses. An antihistamine like Benadryl can help to alleviate severe, constant itchiness. If the skin becomes red and hot to the touch, contact your board-certified surgeon immediately.
- Asymmetry, the breasts look different, or heal differently: Breasts may look or feel quite different from one another in the days following surgery. This is normal. No two breasts in nature or following surgery are perfectly symmetrical.
- Discuss returning to work with your board-certified surgeon, in our office it is typically 3-5 days post-surgery but you may not overexert yourself or do any heavy lifting.
- You may resume exercise and your normal routine at six weeks unless your surgeon advises otherwise.
Nipple sensitivity after augmentation
You might also like...
Nipple swelling after breast augmentation
Swelling after breast augmentation is normal. You had a "trauma" to your breast; and you have implant under the tissue. You would see swelling both on the breast as well as nipple areolar complex. It usually takes 4-6 weeks for the swelling to decrease; it may take longer. Your surgery was only 5 days ago; please give it some time for your final result.
Swelling after breast augmentation
Thanks for the question.
Swelling following breast augmentation is normal, the nipple-areolar complex included. GIven that you are less than a week out from surgery you are very early in the healing process. Additionally, the swelling can impart hypersensitivity to the nipple-areolar complex. 80 % of swelling will resolve by 6 weeks post-op, with the remaining 20% taking as long as 4 months.
Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Nipple Swelling post Augmentation
General swelling after augmentation is not unusual and generally resolves by 4 weeks. I do not typically see nipple swelling out of proportion to breastl post op swelling with the use of an inframammary incision though. I would have your surgeon evaluate and follow this closely.
It is not uncommon for the nipples to be hypersensitive during the early postoperative period. This will subside as the swelling resolves. At the recommendation of your surgeon, I would begin gentle massage exercises that will also lessen the hypersensitivity.
I wish you a safe and happy recovery.
Paul S. GIll, M.D.
GIll Plastic Surgery
Houston Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
It is certainly normal to have swelling after a breast augmentation. I would give it some time to heal before worrying too much.
Breast sensitivity after breast augmentation.
For the first month after breast augmentation recovery, your breasts will be very sensitive. They may also be swollen for up to four or five weeks. Though you will be able to get up and move around after about 48 hours, there may be some lingering side effects for a couple weeks to a month.
Nipple swelling after breast augmentation...
Like any tissue that has undergone surgery, your breasts and nipples will definitely experience some swelling after surgery as part of the normal process. This swelling should improve over the next few weeks and it is generally no cause for concern.
I would touch base with your Plastic Surgeon and let them know your concerns.
I hope that helps!
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.