Dark spots and hairs growing on my chin. Should I get fraxel laser and then laser hair removal treatment or vice versa? (Photo)

I am an African American woman and i have a lot of hyperpigmentation all over my face as well as on my neck area. I also have a lot of hairs and in grown hairs on my chin and neck. I was thinking of getting a fraxel laser treatment to remove the dark spots and the laser hair removal to remove the hairs, but i dont know which one i should do first. Any suggestions?

Skin pigmentation and Fraxel

Fraxel laser may not be the best option for your scars. I would instead use a combination of Melarase creams followed by Melapeels to improve your skin pigmentation.

Dr. Karamanoukian

Fraxel laser

I agree those two treatments would be helpful.

Since ingrown hairs are the source of your issues, I would recommend starting with laser hair removal first and then proceeding with Fraxel

Mark Hamilton, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Control hair first, than pigemntation

As Dr. Green stated, you should have the laser hair removal first than address the pigmentation issues.You always want to get to resolve the cause than the effect of the issue. You may also consider having your blood work done to check your hormonal leves regrding the hair growth and any acne flare ups that may be contributing to the pigmentation, and if needed you could consider seeing an Endocrinologist. Regarding the pigment, the VI peel is great on darker skin types, many dermatologists offer it.  

Neil Sadick, MD

Lasers and Dark Skin

You have a great question and the answer is very important for a great deal of my patients.  Dark skin (type III or darker) needs to be treated with distinct and special lasers.  There is a special laser hair machine called the Gentle Yag which is excellent for darker skin types and is gentle enough to treat your skin.  I would definitely recommend that you receive the laser hair first.  Secondly, while Fraxel is a fabulous laser, I would not recommend it for your skin type or condition.  I also would recommend a thorough skin examination to determine the cause of the hair growth.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with these lasers and these skin conditions.