Is Fraxel Dual safe for African American Skin?

I am looking into getting Fraxel Dual has 2 treatment modes1550nm and 1927nm. With being an African American male and my skin sensitivity is this recommended. I want to remove acne scars and improve me skin texture, tone and appearance. Would Fraxel Dual be a good treatment.

Wonderful Fractional CO2 Laser Treatment for acne scarring.

Fraxel Dual is a wonderful Fractional CO2 Laser Treatment for acne scarring. However, the treatment’s results are uniquely operator-dependent. This means that the setting of the laser can be fixed very low, which makes it safe for African American skin. It can also be set too low and not be powerful enough to affect any real change in the skin. Yet if the laser is set too high, you may see more issues with skin of color. In these cases, permanent skin lightening and worsening of scar tissue may occur. Nevertheless, higher levels have more potential of improvement of scar tissue and skin texture.

It is critical that you select your board certified dermatologist with great care. There needs to be a happy balance between the laser settings and the dermis (or deep layers of skin). The laser needs to go deep enough to affect real change, but not so deep as to create issues in skin of color. But, as far as the modality itself, yes, you picked the right one with a fractional CO2 laser.

I prefer either eMatrix of Profractional Erbium

...I have experience with most lasers, including the Fraxel Dual. For skin types 1-4, not a problem even with the 1550 (that is what I would prescribe for scars). Now, if you have darker skin, 1550 can still be done, but the passes and density would be less. 

I personally would opt for a Erbium fractional treatment as this goes deeper into the skin- up to 1.5 mm. Specialists can control the heat and density of treatment. The other option is RF using eMatrix. PIH or skin darkening with either RF or Erbium is probably less than 1550 Fraxel.

Cheers

DR Davin Lim
Laser Dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Treating Acne scars with African American Skin and Lasers

Fraxel Dual is a fabulous laser for acne scars but for patients of African American descent I much prefer the eMatrix.  The eMatrix is a color blind laser and treats all skin types without the risk of hyper pigmentation which can be as bad as the scars themselves.  For the best cosmetic results please find a board certified dermatologist with experience with Fraxel and cosmetic lasers.