Hairline lowering surgery or hair transplant for naturally high forehead? (Photo)

I have always had a high forehead that bothers me, particularly in photographs. I am now considering either hairline lowering surgery or a hair transplant. I would prefer surgery but my main concerns are the scar of the hairline lowering surgery, if a hair transplant will look natural, if the hair will in fact "take" (since hair does not naturally grow on my forehead), the ability to manipulate transplanted hairs with keratin treatments and blow dryers, and the number of transplants necessary.

Hairline lowering

The hair at the front of your present hairline does not look all that strong. You may have lost some hair from styling practices or you always had a zone of fine hairs. If that is the situation, the one stage hairline lowering operation by itself would probably not work as well as it would if you had a two-stage procedure with a tissue expander. (If you have an extremely flexible scalp that might not be the case.) The hairline lowering procedure gives you the thickest coverage which cannot be replicated with grafts alone.

It is rare for the hairline scar after a hairline lowering operation to be a problem especially if all the hairs grow in the forward direction.  But if it were or you wanted the hairline lowered further, grafts could be done later to totally disguise any scar. There are a number of factors that have to be evaluated in order for you or your surgeon to make the best decision.

Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair Transplants or Hair Line Lowering for High Forehead

For over 35 years I've recommended hair line lowering or patients like you. We developed the Irregular Trichophytic Incision where hair grows through the incision after surgery so the patient has total freedom of styling. The patient can achieve normal density and texture in the behindt the hairline.  

Hairline lowering surgery or hair transplant for naturally high forehead?

To obtain alive hair follicles implanted in higher rates, the latest technique being used is not the only manner, it is also affected by compliance of implantation area that we found a better way to improve as a result of our researches, The Organic Hair Transplantation. By this new and unique Organic Hair Transplantation Technique, before the extraction and implantation processes; we regenerate the implantation area with injection of stem cell enriched fat tissue. Regeneration of cells in target area before FUE transplantation with the support of stromal stem cells results in higher rate of alive thicker hair follicles.

Hairline lowering concerns

You did not state if you are male or female, and that is important. Forehead reduction surgery comes in two types, the first is a surgical procedure that gives you same day results, the second is a hair transplant that takes 6-7 months to see. For men, my only concern is in the potential balding that may occur as most balding starts about your age and advances until the mid-thirties. If that happened to you (your risk) then you will have to get a hair transplant to cover it as the frontal area is the place that genetic balding starts in the young man. On my website, there are great pictures of hair transplant lowering procedures in women on our Home Page and in our gallery on our website (see below), you can see hundreds of men who had their hairline replaced, lowered or improved. The link below discusses hairline lowering and one good picture of a surgical result in a man done by a named doctor.

With a hairline lowering procedure, at times, the hairline is abrupt and many times we do a hair transplant along with the surgical hairline lowering procedure to address this. 

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair line reduction

There are two ways to lower the hair line one is by forehead reduction and one is by hair transplant. In the  hands of an experienced hair restoration doctor, wither way it will look natural.  For pros and cons for each technique you need to see a specialist and find out which is better for you.

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

You need an exam

A great hair line lowering surgery can look great despite the scar.  The scar will be there but it will not be as noticeable.  Sometimes hair transplants on and in front of the scar can help.

A great hair transplant surgery can also look great.  Hair transplants do "take" and it will grow and behave like your normal hairs.  In fact a hair transplant surgery has the potential look most natural.

The decision to go through with either surgery should be made after examination by doctor(s) or several consultations with different doctors.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hairline Lowering Transplantation versus Hairline Advancement Surgery

In general, hair transplantation will give a more natural appearance than the resultant scar from hairline lowering surgery. However, I have performed many hair transplants in the hairline after face lift and forehead reduction surgery in both men and women and the scar can effectively be masked with hair transplantation.  Caution, you will see mixed messages on FUE versus FUT: FUE grafts even in expert hands still has a lower hair graft survival rate than FUT (strip method harvesting). Most women and men with longer hair will achieve better cosmetic result and better growth with FUT.

Brian Goertz, MD
Seattle Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair restoration with the FUE

Lowering of the hairline is one of the main goals of hair restoration with the FUE technique. Through the ability to extract large number of hair follicles (single hair follicles for the hairline) we aim at a natural hairline according to individual characteristics without any scar or visible mark. 

Anastasios Vekris, MD
Greece Plastic Surgeon

Hairline Restoration

Hair line reconstruction by hair transplant should be a better procedure for you as it is a simple procedure, the number of grafts required is less in your case and a single sitting should be good enough.

Kapil Dua, MBBS, MS
India Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair Transplant for Lowering Hair Line

A high forehead could be treated with:

1. Hair Transplant
  2. Surgically remove the upper part of forehead and pull the hairline lower.
The first method gives natural result but for creating maximum density some patients may need more than one procedure.

The second method can give a solid hairline but it may look too linear with a scar that may require further hair transplant in front of it to make it look more natural.  You should talk to a hair transplant surgeon to explore your options.

Parsa Mohebi, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon