Still tired one week post op of a BA. Is this normal?

I'm a 45 year old runner who had BA surgery a week ago tomorrow. I've been tired off and on throughout my days. I also have this dull headache that comes and goes. Should I be concerned? The last heavy pain meds were the night of my surgery.

Although each person’s recovery varies, it’s normal to feel tired a week after surgery.

It’s common for people to have low energy or feel fatigued during the first several weeks following surgery. Your body is in its initial stages of recovery and is undergoing significant healing, which requires energy. Doctors recommend taking it easy during this time, limiting the demands you make of your body, getting plenty of rest, drinking plenty of water and gently easing back into any physical activities. If you continue to be concerned about your symptoms, it’s a good idea to check in with your surgeon. Best of luck to you.

Post operative tiredness

Every patient responds differently to the effects of anesthesia, pain medications and the stress of surgery.  It may take some people longer than others to bounce back, especially if you are used to being able to function at a very high level..  Once all of the medicine is out of your system and your body has adjusted to the changes caused by the surgery, you should back jto your usual energy level.

John Dean, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Fatigue after surgery

It's best to consult directly with your surgeon. However in general it's normal to experience low energy and fatigue the first 1-2 weeks after breast surgery. Typically patients start to feel more "like themselves" around week three. Be patient with the process and try to rest as much as possible. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Fatigue after breast augmentation

It is quite normal for you to be fatigued after breast augmentation.  This can last for some time. 

I'd discuss the matter with your plastic surgeon.

I wish you the best,

Dr. Gabbay.

Joubin Gabbay, MD

Feeling rundown after surgery

Daisykaner,

Recovery from surgery and anesthesia will vary from patient to patient, and is also different in different decades of life.  Feeling sluggish is not unusual when using narcotic pain meds, and I have my patients try to use ibuprofen on a 6 hour schedule to limit or even eliminate the need for narcotic pain meds. Ask your surgeon about this, but you should be able to ease back into most normal activity, while avoiding strenuous or cardio activity. I hope that this helps.

Thomas M. DeWire Sr., MD (retired)
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to returning to specific activities. He/she will know exactly what was done, how you are progressing, and exactly what type of activities you are returning to.

Generally speaking, it will be important for you to return to activities in a very gradual/cautious fashion. "Listen to your body".  It is quite normal to be tired as you are recovering from surgery. 

Again, your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to relevant advice. Best wishes.

Tired after BA

Hi, there.  It is normal to be tired after surgery.  Even if you are not having too much pain and not taking pain medication, your body is overcoming the stress of surgery and recovery.  You may not feel back to normal for couple weeks.  Please give your body some time to recover.  Good luck with your recovery.

Tired after BA

Yes. It is entirely normal. The body requires a lot of energy to heal. Hang in there. It will be worth it. 

Mary Gingrass, MD

Still Tired One Week After Breast Augmentation surgery

It is very normal to feel tired one week after your surgery. Your body is working hard at healing itself! Be sure you get plenty of rest, eat healthy meals and keep hydrated. Good luck.

Miguel Delgado, MD

Feeling Tired is Normal

At this point, being one week post op is normal to feel tired. Surgery takes more out of us than we expect, so feeling exhausted at one week is not unusual.

Your body is healing from surgery and needs time to recover. There is still a lot of swelling and your implants need time to drop to their normal resting place on your chest. Be sure to stay in touch with your doctor and follow his/her post op instructions.  Best of luck to you.

John A. Kotis, DO, FACS, FACOS