My Vagina Doesn't Look Normal is There Loose Skin? (photo)

My lady area seems to look not normal as I'm scarred to have sex as I get uncomfortable on what they may say this may just be me? I would like to no if it is an normal looking vagina and If I have loose skin please be honest as I would like to know what is normal and if I'm just hiding away for no reason thank you for your help also my flaps look very not normal please take a look

The "normal" vagina.

As with most body parts, there is a great deal of anatomical variation when it comes to the female external genitalia.  With the proliferation of sexually explicit material, patients are now much more concerned about the appearance of their genitals.  This has led to an increase in the number of labiaplasty procedures in recent years. 

Based on your pictures it appears that your labia fall well within the "normal" range.  That does not mean, however, that you are not a good candidate for a labiaplasty procedure.  If you feel embarrassed or self conscious about your appearance, you should seek a consultation from a plastic surgeon who is experienced with labiaplasty procedures to express your concerns.   The surgery will not only give you more confidence, it can also improve symptoms of discomfort that you might be having.

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Does my vagina look normal?

Your external genitalia appear absolutely normal, based on the photos that you submitted. There is such a large variation in external female genitalia and you fall within the normal range.  Despite this, some women are bothered, either physically or just don't like the appearance and feel uncomfortable with redundant labia minora (inner lips). Looking at the photos,  a labiaplasty would decrease the size of your labia minora and may make you feel more comfortable if it still bothers you.

Luis H. Macias, MD

My Vagina Doesn't Look Normal

First of all it is important to understand that there is a wide range of “normal” when it comes how the labia should appear.

Women come to my office all the time wanting to look “normal” and we have to discuss what they are trying to achieve with their surgery.

You are well within the range of normal. There is currently a trend where woman do not like the appearance of the additional tissue that hangs below he vagina. At times this extra skin can interfere with intercourse or cause pain with exercise but most commonly it is just and aesthetic preference for woman.

Normal labia anatomy

Labia come in many different shapes and forms.  Please visit your gynecologist or a plastic surgeon who does labiaplasties. Below is a fully healed labiaplasty in a patient who felt her labia minora were too long.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Laser labiaplasty can remove loose labial skin and improve the appearance of the labia.

Thank you very much for your question and photographs.  The loose protruding skin that you see on your labia is quite common and does cause irritation when you wear tight fitting clothes and many women are embarrassed about large or labia.

Labiaplasty is in excellent and very helpful procedure that can remove the loose skin and make the labia looked much smaller and more normal.

Because the labia are so delicate I use a laser to remove the excess tissue and this avoids using a scalpel and traumatizing this very delicate tissue.

Please go to my photographs on Realself.com and you will be able to see 3 patient's before and after pictures of patients who had laser labioplasty.

Its normal

What you are seeing is the labia minora.   Women's labia minora vary in size and shape, and many women do have labia that protrude from the labia majora, the larger outer lips of the vagina.

If you are worried that you are not normal, no need to worry - you are.  You will have no problems with sex from the shape of your labia.  

If you are concerned about the cosmetic appearance, surgery is available to reduce the size of the labia.  This is called a labiaplasty, and can be done electively if it something you desire. 

Nicholas Fogelson, MD
Portland OB/GYN

What do normal labia look like?

Thank you for your question. Because all women are unique in their features, there is no real definition of labia. Labia can vary significantly in thickness, color, length, and symmetry. Your pictures appear healthy and youthful. Often, patients request a labiaplasty when their labia interfere with activities such as exercise or wearing specific clothing. Large labia can cause chaffing or trapping of the labia limiting those activities. Other reasons for requesting a labiaplasty include feeling insecure with intimacy or because of changes with age and loss of a youthful appearance. These are all acceptable reasons.
Should you decide to pursue a labiaplasty, I highly recommend that you identify a surgeon that is trained in vaginal reconstructive and aesthetic surgery. Not all plastic surgeons or gynecologists have specialized training in these procedures and is not one to take lightly when choosing your surgeon.

Is this normal anatomy?

Rest assured you have completely normal anatomy. There is much variability in the appearance of this area but naturally it is not common to know or see this. I hope this helps.

Bryan Correa, MD

What is normal?

Extra labia minora tissue is normal. However, extra tissue can cause difficulties in terms of hygiene and feeling comfortable with your body. A labiaplasty is easily performed in the clinic setting using local anesthesia. You will be bruised and swollen for a few days after the procedure. You can resume all activities (such as sexual intercourse) 6 weeks after the procedure.

Labia loose skin

Some loose skin of the labia area is within normal limits of the female genitalia. However, if you are uncomfortable about the appearance of your labia or you have discomfort due to excessive loose skin, labiaplasty may be helpful. We now offer both surgical and non-surgical labiaplasty. Make sure to visit a plastic surgeon or OB/GYN who is experience on both option. A recommendation should be given after a full evaluation. Remember, "if you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Stanley Okoro, MD