My Vagina Doesn't Look Normal is There Loose Skin? (photo)

My lady area seems to look not normal as I'm scarred to have sex as I get uncomfortable on what they may say this may just be me? I would like to no if it is an normal looking vagina and If I have loose skin please be honest as I would like to know what is normal and if I'm just hiding away for no reason thank you for your help also my flaps look very not normal please take a look

What do normal labia look like?

Thank you for your question. Because all women are unique in their features, there is no real definition of labia. Labia can vary significantly in thickness, color, length, and symmetry. Your pictures appear healthy and youthful. Often, patients request a labiaplasty when their labia interfere with activities such as exercise or wearing specific clothing. Large labia can cause chaffing or trapping of the labia limiting those activities. Other reasons for requesting a labiaplasty include feeling insecure with intimacy or because of changes with age and loss of a youthful appearance. These are all acceptable reasons.
Should you decide to pursue a labiaplasty, I highly recommend that you identify a surgeon that is trained in vaginal reconstructive and aesthetic surgery. Not all plastic surgeons or gynecologists have specialized training in these procedures and is not one to take lightly when choosing your surgeon.

Bay Area Urogynecologist

The "normal" vagina.

As with most body parts, there is a great deal of anatomical variation when it comes to the female external genitalia.  With the proliferation of sexually explicit material, patients are now much more concerned about the appearance of their genitals.  This has led to an increase in the number of labiaplasty procedures in recent years. 

Based on your pictures it appears that your labia fall well within the "normal" range.  That does not mean, however, that you are not a good candidate for a labiaplasty procedure.  If you feel embarrassed or self conscious about your appearance, you should seek a consultation from a plastic surgeon who is experienced with labiaplasty procedures to express your concerns.   The surgery will not only give you more confidence, it can also improve symptoms of discomfort that you might be having.

Erik Miles, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

"Normal" Labia

There is a wide range of "normal" labia. Enlarged labia that swell and interfere with sex and other physical activities, may not serve you well. Patients who have these complaints will benefit from a reduction labiaplasty for both cosmetic and functional improvements. You may consider seeing a surgeon in your area who has experience doing labiaplasty procedures should you choose to have treatment.

Lori Warren, MD
Louisville Urogynecologist

My Vagina Doesn't Look Normal

First of all it is important to understand that there is a wide range of “normal” when it comes how the labia should appear.

Women come to my office all the time wanting to look “normal” and we have to discuss what they are trying to achieve with their surgery.

You are well within the range of normal. There is currently a trend where woman do not like the appearance of the additional tissue that hangs below he vagina. At times this extra skin can interfere with intercourse or cause pain with exercise but most commonly it is just and aesthetic preference for woman.

Johnny Franco, MD, FACS

Does my vagina look normal?

Your external genitalia appear absolutely normal, based on the photos that you submitted. There is such a large variation in external female genitalia and you fall within the normal range.  Despite this, some women are bothered, either physically or just don't like the appearance and feel uncomfortable with redundant labia minora (inner lips). Looking at the photos,  a labiaplasty would decrease the size of your labia minora and may make you feel more comfortable if it still bothers you.

Luis H. Macias, MD, FACS

Laser labiaplasty can remove loose labial skin and improve the appearance of the labia.

Thank you very much for your question and photographs.  The loose protruding skin that you see on your labia is quite common and does cause irritation when you wear tight fitting clothes and many women are embarrassed about large or labia.

Labiaplasty is in excellent and very helpful procedure that can remove the loose skin and make the labia looked much smaller and more normal.

Because the labia are so delicate I use a laser to remove the excess tissue and this avoids using a scalpel and traumatizing this very delicate tissue.

Please go to my photographs on Realself.com and you will be able to see 3 patient's before and after pictures of patients who had laser labioplasty.

Is there loose skin?

There is a wide range of normal when it comes to labia.  If it bothers you either cosmetically or functionally (rubs during exercise, extra tissue gets in the way during sex, bunches in clothing) then a labiaplasty can be considered.  Many women don't like it when the labia minor (the inner part) hangs below the labia major (the outer part).  It looks as if you have slightly more tissue on the left side of your labia minora than your right side when looking at the third photo you provided.  I would recommend visiting your local board certified plastic surgeon and discussing your options if you don't like the appearance or if the extra tissue gets in the way of your daily activities.  Best wishes!

Maida Parkins, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty

Based on your photos is appears as though you do have excess of the labia minora.  This can be addressed with a labiaplasty.

Steven S. Carp, MD
Akron Plastic Surgeon

What are "Normal Labia"?

Just as with every other part of the body, there is a wide range of what is considered "normal" in terms of appearance.  You seem to be have slightly asymmetric labia minora in your photos, but this is in no way abnormal.  Still, if it bothers you cosmetically, you could consider a labiaplasty.

Shareef Jandali, MD
Fairfield Plastic Surgeon

Vagina normal?

Dear bubblegumx,

In my opinion there is nothing "abnormal" about your appearance of the area. However from an aesthetic standpoint you may be referring to the labia minora being bulkier or larger then you like. This is all patient dependent and what your goals are in terms of cosmetics or what bother you about the appearance. It appears the labia minora which is the inner "lips" and clitoral hood can be reduced if you would like. Thank you.   

Rikesh T. Parikh, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon