My Vagina Doesn't Look Normal is There Loose Skin? (photo)

My lady area seems to look not normal as I'm scarred to have sex as I get uncomfortable on what they may say this may just be me? I would like to no if it is an normal looking vagina and If I have loose skin please be honest as I would like to know what is normal and if I'm just hiding away for no reason thank you for your help also my flaps look very not normal please take a look

The "normal" vagina.

As with most body parts, there is a great deal of anatomical variation when it comes to the female external genitalia.  With the proliferation of sexually explicit material, patients are now much more concerned about the appearance of their genitals.  This has led to an increase in the number of labiaplasty procedures in recent years. 

Based on your pictures it appears that your labia fall well within the "normal" range.  That does not mean, however, that you are not a good candidate for a labiaplasty procedure.  If you feel embarrassed or self conscious about your appearance, you should seek a consultation from a plastic surgeon who is experienced with labiaplasty procedures to express your concerns.   The surgery will not only give you more confidence, it can also improve symptoms of discomfort that you might be having.

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

What do normal labia look like?

Thank you for your question. Because all women are unique in their features, there is no real definition of labia. Labia can vary significantly in thickness, color, length, and symmetry. Your pictures appear healthy and youthful. Often, patients request a labiaplasty when their labia interfere with activities such as exercise or wearing specific clothing. Large labia can cause chaffing or trapping of the labia limiting those activities. Other reasons for requesting a labiaplasty include feeling insecure with intimacy or because of changes with age and loss of a youthful appearance. These are all acceptable reasons.
Should you decide to pursue a labiaplasty, I highly recommend that you identify a surgeon that is trained in vaginal reconstructive and aesthetic surgery. Not all plastic surgeons or gynecologists have specialized training in these procedures and is not one to take lightly when choosing your surgeon.

Does my vagina look normal?

Your external genitalia appear absolutely normal, based on the photos that you submitted. There is such a large variation in external female genitalia and you fall within the normal range.  Despite this, some women are bothered, either physically or just don't like the appearance and feel uncomfortable with redundant labia minora (inner lips). Looking at the photos,  a labiaplasty would decrease the size of your labia minora and may make you feel more comfortable if it still bothers you.

Luis H. Macias, MD, FACS

Normal labia anatomy

Labia come in many different shapes and forms.  Please visit your gynecologist or a plastic surgeon who does labiaplasties. Below is a fully healed labiaplasty in a patient who felt her labia minora were too long.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

My Vagina Doesn't Look Normal

First of all it is important to understand that there is a wide range of “normal” when it comes how the labia should appear.

Women come to my office all the time wanting to look “normal” and we have to discuss what they are trying to achieve with their surgery.

You are well within the range of normal. There is currently a trend where woman do not like the appearance of the additional tissue that hangs below he vagina. At times this extra skin can interfere with intercourse or cause pain with exercise but most commonly it is just and aesthetic preference for woman.

Laser labiaplasty can remove loose labial skin and improve the appearance of the labia.

Thank you very much for your question and photographs.  The loose protruding skin that you see on your labia is quite common and does cause irritation when you wear tight fitting clothes and many women are embarrassed about large or labia.

Labiaplasty is in excellent and very helpful procedure that can remove the loose skin and make the labia looked much smaller and more normal.

Because the labia are so delicate I use a laser to remove the excess tissue and this avoids using a scalpel and traumatizing this very delicate tissue.

Please go to my photographs on Realself.com and you will be able to see 3 patient's before and after pictures of patients who had laser labioplasty.

Options for Reshaping the Labia

A #labiaplasty is a surgical procedure that will reduce and/or reshape the #labia. Labia minora are the inner lips of the vagina that cover the female clitoris and vaginal opening. Women with excessively large labia may experience pain during sexual relations, feel discomfort during normal activities or while wearing tight clothing. Or, the labia may be asymmetric or may #hang below the labia majora (the outer lips of the vagina) which some women find this unattractive. At times the outer labia or labia majora may also be excessively large, uneven, or may be too small which may be corrected with fat injections.
A #candidate for a #Labiaplasty procedure is one concerned about the appearance of her labia or experiences pain and discomfort from large, long or uneven labia; usually of the inner lips or labia minora.
#Non-surgical treatments with #Thermiva radiofrequency can reduce the labia for some patients. However, surgery is the most common treatment. It can usually corrected your concern in less than one hour with the use of a local anaesthetic. Often, many women feel more comfortable and relaxed with a quick twilight or general anaesthetic. Each procedure is customized to the physical findings as well as the desired goals of the patient. There is no one right solution for all patients, but there is a solution for every woman. The outcome of a Labiaplasty is a more youthful appearance, ability to wear all types of clothing without discomfort and/or embarrassment, and a more confident sex life.
All in all, the best candidates for a #labiaplasty are women who experience sexual dysfunction or embarrassment because of the appearance of the labia. The best procedure approach will be discussed in greater detail during your one-on-one consultation.

My Vagina Doesn't Look Normal is There Loose Skin?

It's a good question. There is a big variation of "normal" female vulvar anatomy. You appear to have normal anatomy.

The most important thing however, is how YOU feel about the appearance of your vulva. If there are areas that you would like to change, then it's worth having consultations with expert vulvovaginal cosmetic surgeons to discuss your goals and see if there are procedures to help get the look that you desire.

There are procedures to decrease the size of the labia minora, reduce the clitoral hood, and change the size of the labia majora (increase or decrease). 

Labial enlargement

This is very subjective, as there is a wide range of "normal" size labia. Labiaplasty surgery is an option if the size of your labia bothers you in appearance or if it causes you discomfort. You can read more about labiaplasty surgery at the link below. 

Loose skin around the vulva (vagina)

Thank you for your question.  There is no absolute "normal" with the female vulva.  The labia minora can have a lot of variability from person to person.  Labiaplasty is a surgical procedure typically done to reduce the size of the labia minora.  This is done for cosmetic appearance, because the tissue gets snagged or pulled during intercourse or exercise or in tight clothing.  This is a procedure that is often done to help with self confidence, but by no means to create a "normal" appearance.  

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon