My Vagina Doesn't Look Normal is There Loose Skin? (photo)

My lady area seems to look not normal as I'm scarred to have sex as I get uncomfortable on what they may say this may just be me? I would like to no if it is an normal looking vagina and If I have loose skin please be honest as I would like to know what is normal and if I'm just hiding away for no reason thank you for your help also my flaps look very not normal please take a look

What do normal labia look like?

Thank you for your question. Because all women are unique in their features, there is no real definition of labia. Labia can vary significantly in thickness, color, length, and symmetry. Your pictures appear healthy and youthful. Often, patients request a labiaplasty when their labia interfere with activities such as exercise or wearing specific clothing. Large labia can cause chaffing or trapping of the labia limiting those activities. Other reasons for requesting a labiaplasty include feeling insecure with intimacy or because of changes with age and loss of a youthful appearance. These are all acceptable reasons.
Should you decide to pursue a labiaplasty, I highly recommend that you identify a surgeon that is trained in vaginal reconstructive and aesthetic surgery. Not all plastic surgeons or gynecologists have specialized training in these procedures and is not one to take lightly when choosing your surgeon.

Bay Area Urogynecologist

The "normal" vagina.

As with most body parts, there is a great deal of anatomical variation when it comes to the female external genitalia.  With the proliferation of sexually explicit material, patients are now much more concerned about the appearance of their genitals.  This has led to an increase in the number of labiaplasty procedures in recent years. 

Based on your pictures it appears that your labia fall well within the "normal" range.  That does not mean, however, that you are not a good candidate for a labiaplasty procedure.  If you feel embarrassed or self conscious about your appearance, you should seek a consultation from a plastic surgeon who is experienced with labiaplasty procedures to express your concerns.   The surgery will not only give you more confidence, it can also improve symptoms of discomfort that you might be having.

Erik Miles, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

"Normal" Labia

There is a wide range of "normal" labia. Enlarged labia that swell and interfere with sex and other physical activities, may not serve you well. Patients who have these complaints will benefit from a reduction labiaplasty for both cosmetic and functional improvements. You may consider seeing a surgeon in your area who has experience doing labiaplasty procedures should you choose to have treatment.

Lori Warren, MD
Louisville Urogynecologist

My Vagina Doesn't Look Normal

First of all it is important to understand that there is a wide range of “normal” when it comes how the labia should appear.

Women come to my office all the time wanting to look “normal” and we have to discuss what they are trying to achieve with their surgery.

You are well within the range of normal. There is currently a trend where woman do not like the appearance of the additional tissue that hangs below he vagina. At times this extra skin can interfere with intercourse or cause pain with exercise but most commonly it is just and aesthetic preference for woman.

Johnny Franco, MD, FACS

Does my vagina look normal?

Your external genitalia appear absolutely normal, based on the photos that you submitted. There is such a large variation in external female genitalia and you fall within the normal range.  Despite this, some women are bothered, either physically or just don't like the appearance and feel uncomfortable with redundant labia minora (inner lips). Looking at the photos,  a labiaplasty would decrease the size of your labia minora and may make you feel more comfortable if it still bothers you.

Luis H. Macias, MD, FACS

Laser labiaplasty can remove loose labial skin and improve the appearance of the labia.

Thank you very much for your question and photographs.  The loose protruding skin that you see on your labia is quite common and does cause irritation when you wear tight fitting clothes and many women are embarrassed about large or labia.

Labiaplasty is in excellent and very helpful procedure that can remove the loose skin and make the labia looked much smaller and more normal.

Because the labia are so delicate I use a laser to remove the excess tissue and this avoids using a scalpel and traumatizing this very delicate tissue.

Please go to my photographs on Realself.com and you will be able to see 3 patient's before and after pictures of patients who had laser labioplasty.

What do normal labia look like.

Hi there and thank you for your question.  There is great variation in the appearance of labia. However the accepted norm is that the inner labia should not protrude outside the outer labia.  In your case the inner labia are moderately enlarged and in many of my patients is the cause of discomfort when wearing tight fitting clothes, during exercise and sex.  Labiaplasty surgery aims to reduce the size of the labia to reduce this discomfort.  Hope that this is helpful and good luck!

Christopher J. Inglefield, MBBS, FRCS(Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon

Normal labia

Your anatomy is definitely normal. Many women who have concerns about their labia do indeed have normal anatomy. Between the popularity of the hairless pubic area and increased awareness of the labia due to photos on the internet, most women feel like the "ideal" look is normal and that they are not normal if they do not match the "ideal". Surgery can reduce the size of the labia, and laser can smooth and tighten the tissue, but if you are not uncomfortable, there is no need to change your anatomy to meet the "ideal" look. 

Dana Goldberg, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

The labia come in lots of shapes and sizes

Hello! The labia minora and majora come in different shapes and sizes! If you desire a smaller size, this can be accomplished with a labiaplasty. This procedure is quite common-- You are not alone! Be sure to choose a surgeon who is experience in this procedure.

Good luck.

Anne Taylor, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Are my lady bits normal?

Hi and thanks for your photos

There are many variations of normal when it comes to the appearance of the lady parts.From your photos, it looks like your anatomy is quite normal. However, many women aren't happy with their anatomy, whether it's because they dont like the appearance, or whether they are uncomfortable due to chafing or pulling of labia that are long. 

If you are uncomfortable with your appearance, or your labia are uncomfortable, you may want to consult with an experienced plastic surgeon who can examine you and discuss your options.

Best wishes-

Susan MacLennan, MD
Banff Plastic Surgeon