Can my two front teeth made bigger with bonding or do I have to get veneers to lengthen them?

I have bonding on my two front teeth, they look dull and darker. I'm happy with the rest of my teeth, except for the two front ones because of the color change and the teeth are also shorter now because I clinch my jaws sometimes. What's my best option? Should I get veneers or should I redo the bonding on there? Since I would like the two front teeth to be a little longer, can the two teeth be extended to look longer with bonding? How frequently would I redo bonding? I want a natural look.

Is Bonding comparable to Dental Veneers to lengthen front teeth?

Certainly bounding is a good alternative to veneers and can be lengthened quite conservatively without any preparation to the underlying tooth. The only disadvantage to bonding is lifespan and often, after a few years, does stain. The newer bonding materials are quite aesthetic and highly polishable, the result, with skilful colour matching can be quite aesthetic. It does not have the lustre of porcelain veneers but in some cases can be equally as aesthetic. Particularly in lengthening, if a layering technique is used, with a skilful approach the aesthetic befits are almost comparable to veneers.

Sydney Dentist

Bonding vs veneers

Well , how long have you had bonding on. If it has worked for you long time, it could work again. Veneers do have a better and longer lasting result but everything works best in the hands of clinician. See your nearest dentist who can offer you what works best in his/her hands.

Natwarlal Tibrewal, BDS
Leeds Dentist

I want longer teeth, which is better, composite bonding or porcelain veneers?

You mention that your teeth have gotten shorter from clenching.  In general, teeth don't get shorter from clenching, but rather from grinding, which mostly occurs at night.
Your teeth can be made longer with either approach, however porcelain veneers are much stronger when it comes to lengthening teeth, and as such, should last you many times over what direct composite bonding will do, especially if you are "grinder."
Also, the shape of the teeth tend to be much better with veneers than bonding, and likewise the color of the teeth is much better and more stable over time.
Thus, I would advise porcelain veneers over direct composite bonding.
You might be interested in seeing some examples of patients who have had their teeth lengthened with porcelain veneers.  See the web reference below.

Norman Huefner, DDS
Laguna Niguel Dentist

#Bonding vs #Veneers ?

Great question, let me try to answer it as best as I can without a good photo or your teeth.

Dental Bonding:  could last 1-3 years  depending on your oral care;  cheaper than veneers, fast procedure (meaning it takes 1 appointment); can fix discolorations; however, bonding brakes very easily when on a chewing service of the tooth; bad for extending teeth, if expecting the material not to brake.

Veneers:  They will last 20 or 30 years with excellent oral care; more expensive than bonding; great for fixing discolorations, and great for extending teeth; highly stain resistant; very durable on biting services of the tooth; can be done in 1 or 2 appointments with a cosmetic dentist.

Veneers are what I do, so follow me if you have more questions about them.
Sarah Thompson, DMD