Do I Have to Get my Nipple Cut for a Breast Lift? (photo)

In the pictures are my breasts.In all the breast lift procedures I've viewed the woman's breast was always medium to big and hanging a whole lot. Thus the skin had to be reduced and their nipples cut to be placed in the centre. I don't want my nipples cut at all. When i look in the mirror ,all i do lift the skin from the top of my breast and to me the problem would be fixed. Can this work? I don't see why they have to cut my nipple. In the second picture i demonstrate what i mean,

Nipple Areloar Incisions During Mastopexy

Dear Amanda: Breast lift surgery most often proceeds through an orderly series of scars beginning with those around the areola, to a vertical scar on the breast and finally under the breast.  Unfortunately, all these procedures involve making an incision around the areola.  You may also consider including  a profile (side-view) picture to better access your needs.  It may be that a breast implant with appropriate type, size and location is all you need, which would possibly avoid the scar around the areola.  Hope this helped

Breast Lift Without Scars

Hello Amanda.  I certainly agree that the ideal breast lift would involve no scars yet give a very nice result like you demonstrated in your picture.  This, however, is not possible.

Sometimes you can get a small lift with an implant only. The implant helps to elevate the breast tissue to a small degree and can actually provide an adequate lift in select patients.  Unfortunately, most women who desire a 'lifted' breast will require some form of incision to obtain a nice cosmetic result.  I spend a great deal of time with my patients discussing the best approach to minimize incisions and still achieve the look they desire.  

A thorough discussion with a board-certified plastic surgeon who has extensive experience in breast surgery should help you more clearly understand the options and potential results

Louis DeLuca, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift without a nipple/areolar incision?

Dear Amanda,

Unfortunately, any breast lift procedure requires at least a partial incision around the areola.  There is just no way to avoid it.  A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon can shed some light on the subject and perhaps alleviate your fears about getting an incision around the areola.  Good luck!

Lifting the breast

The only way your breasts will stay up like you have then in the picture is to hold them up like you have them!  You may just want a circumareola lift but that may flatten the breasts a bit.

Incisions for breast lift

Unfortunately, a breast lift does require incisions around the areola.  With a circumareolar mastopexy, you can acheive about a 2cm lift of the areola.  You can also achieve some upper pole fullness, that you demonstrate with the lifted photo by adding fat grafting or an implant.  Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to determine all your breast lift options.

Elizabeth Kim, MD

Do I Have to Get my Nipple Cut for a Breast Lift?

Wouldn't it be nice were it otherwise. For what you are demonstrating to work, the excess skin would need to be excised, leaving scars high up on the breasts. 

The breast lift incisions are designed to be as camouflaged as possible while allowing for the actual operation to be effective. 

All the best. 

Breast Lift without Areolar Incision

The areolar incision would be the minimum breast lift and is involved in the other breast lifts as well.  You could lift the breasts from an incision above the areola, but then you would have a large horizontal scar in the superior portion of your breast. Find the plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast lifts each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Breast Lifting without Incision Around Areola?

Thank you for the question and pictures.   You demonstrate your goals nicely.

Yes, breast lifting surgery does involve incisions around the areola ( at least).   These incisions around the areola allow for movement of the areola superiorly. Although what you demonstrate makes sense, you would be left with incisions high up on your chest wall;  therefore not a good idea.

Scarless Breast Lift

Scarless breast lifts are everyone's goals, but at this point not a reality.  Based upon your comment that most patients' photos show larger breasts with more ptosis or sagging, I believe that you are not ready to trade in shape for incisions.  Unfortunately all that we have to offer you will entail an incision around the areola or longer.

Ronald A. Lohner, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon