Should I Have my Lymph Nodes Removed As They Are Full of Silicone from Non Medical Grade Silicone?

I Have Pain and Discomfort in the left breast and armpit also a small lump has now been found just below my nipple but they have said they can't do a biopsy as it is to close to the new implant and it could be ruptured by the procedure do you think that the non grade silicone could have caused the lump 0r that my lymph nodes are not working due to them being full of silicone

Removal of the lymph nodes is not likely to be of any benefit to you. It is likely to be rather harmful, causing Lymph-edema --a difficult to treat and almost impossible to cure swelling of the arms. 

I am not sure who told you not to have a biopsy.  If there is a medical reason to perform the biopsy, your plastic surgeon should be capable of doing a biopsy without endangering the implant. Get yourself another opinion. Best wishes.

Silicone Lymphadenopathy As A Result Of Breast Augmentation

I have done extensive research on silicone lymphadenopathy over the last 20 years as a result of breast augmentation. As a result, I have published a peer-reviewed paper with scientists from the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology in  Washington, D.C. as well as from Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland. Silicone in the lymph nodes can be diagnosed by ultrasound and localized by needle localization for precise removal. The polyurethane covered gel filled breast implants are associated with extensive silicone lymphadenopathy in the axilla, retropectoral, internal mammary, and sometimes neck nodes, but never in nodes below the diaphragm. The saline implants are never associated with silicone lymphadenopathy. Ruptured gel implants are only sometimes associated with silicone lymphadenopathy. Silicone-laden lymph nodes, if they need to be removed, should only be removed after needle localization by a radiologist experienced with the technique. I have removed many silicone laden lymph nodes after needle localization in the past, but I have stopped due to the fact that the removal makes little difference in patient's recovery from implant illness. In addition, there are always risks of lymphedema of the arm, numbness in the arm, and seroma in the axilla. I am not aware of any medical literature showing benefit of lymph node removal in implant illness.  

Lu-Jean Feng, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Breast lumps should be evaluated with implants

Even with an implant any breast lump should be evaluated and a biopsy performed if indicated. Implant rupture is not an indication for removing lymph nodes, tender or not.

Painful breast and armpit due to non-medical grade silicone

Based on your description, I am assuming that you had silicone injections to the breasts, perhaps in a country other than the U.S. I have seen patients from Asia with your particular problems. Unfortunately, the treatment for silicone granulomas often involves a subcutaneous mastectomy for severe cases with axillary lymph node dissection/excision. This treatment may be the only way to address the pain caused by the non-medical grade silicone. Thank you for sharing your concerns and question. Best wishes.

Gregory Park, MD

Breast and Axillary “Lumps”?

Best to have any symptomatic or suspicious breast and/or axillary lesions removed and examined by pathologists.