Are my Breasts Still Sitting Low After Breast Lift and Augmentation?

I am 8 weeks post op from breast lift (lollipop)and cohesive gel implants(above the muscle). I am experiencing rippling around my breasts in which is apparently normal for my size however to me they seem to sit lower than I was told they would and when they are manually "lifted" the rippling appears to deminish. Could they have been positioned higher and could this be partially affecting the rippling? Im concerned that I will need a re-lift in the near future if they sit this low 8 weeks post op

Breast Lift

You describe two separate issues:  the shape of your breast, and the presence of rippling.  Rippling is due to the palpability of the implant through the tissue.  Thinner patients will have more rippling especially with implants placed in the subglandular position.  Thinner patients are also more prone to stretching due to the lack of elasticity in their tissues.  Your breast may have had a higher position if you had had a T-scar type mastopexy instead of a lollipop, but your results are acceptable.  Although the rippling appears to be better when you pinch your breast to simulate a higher lift, the rippling will not change much if you relift your breast.  A different style implant may help.  I would give yourself more time for your breast shape to stabilize, then discuss the issues with your plastic surgeon.

Getting a better result with a mastopexy augmetnation

When dealing with a deflated breast like yours I have found that it is necessary to place the nipple areolar complex higher than you might usually expect for a standard mastopexy.  I think this occurs because the skin lack descent elasticity.  

Breast lift implant positioning

Your results are very acceptable in my opinion. Whether or not the implant position is high enough is a matter of personal preference. If the implants were placed in the subpectoral position and the mastopexy was slightly more aggressive, the implant could look higher and more youthful. But your breast shape, scarring, and position are quite good. You have a very thin skin envelope which explains the rippling despite using the cohesive gel implants. My personal preference for you would have been a subpectoral or at least a subfascial implant pocket location. 

Wm. Todd Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Mastopexy augmentation low breast

In my opinion you have a long chest and this makes your breasts look lower. I think the location of the implant is adequate and it would've been very difficult to raise your stress higher.

The rippling on the side of the breast may be something that would have to be treated surgically by changing the pocket to below the muscle or using dermal matrix like alloderm to support lower outer quadrant of the breast and treat the rippling.

Wendell Perry, MD

Appearance of breasts after lift and augmentation

Your breasts have a reasonable shape right now but won't maintain this long term. With your implants in a submammary pocket, you can expect that they will descend over time with elongation of your breasts and thinning of your skin (providing all other factors such as weight don't change). 

Another issue that you have noticed is the rippling which is seen both with saline and silicone (less commonly)  implants that have been place in a submammary pocket. This will be a chronic problem which worsens with certain positions and is directly related to the thinness of your skin.A submuscular position would have been a better choice.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Breast lifting and rippling

Rippling of the breast after impalnt placement has to do with the amount of soft tissue present between the implant and the skin.

Photos indicate an acceptable result. I question the type of implant because of the "ripples". But if you are not happy than repeat lifting with a larger implant like smooth HP silicone memory gels. 

Results after Breast Augmentation/Lifting?

Thank you for the question and pictures.

It is hard  to determine if the breasts are “too low” without direct examination and measurements.

As I mentioned,  as a previous response to one of your earlier questions,  I would have personally preferred to keep the  implants in the submuscular position ( as much as possible) in your case. This would have been the most effective way to minimize rippling.

Breast lift results?

I would definitely agree that your results are very good!  One thing to understand about a breast lift -- a lift doesn't move the breast to a higher location on the chest (that illusion can only occur with push-up bras).  A breast is considered ptotic (saggy) when the nipple is below the level of the inframammary fold; so a breast lift seeks to relocate the nipple areola complex to a level equal with the inframammary fold; the implant will restore some fullness to the breast that has been lost with age, breast feeding, and weight fluctuations.

As for the rippling, that is likely because of your thin body habitus.  I would recommend that you discuss options for correcting the rippling with your plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Anureet K. Bajaj, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

? Bottoming out

Your result  looks quite good!  If I had performed this surgery, I would be pleased with the result-

The Lateral rippling is due to the soft tissue limitations of your natural breast tissue (note your left breast is smaller and has less soft tissue than the right)

Fat Grafting over these implants would improve your result greatly-  See the attached link

Best Regards,

Dr Del vecchio

bostonbreastcenter