Age 37, 234lbs, 50G Breasts, What Are My Options As A Low Income Mom? (photo)

I'm 37 and 234pounds my breast is a 50 G and it hurting my back my neck you name it , it hurt I have been having this problem for a long time. I stared off with big breast at the age of 12years old they was 36c cups and in middle school they when up to a Dcup then in high school they became 38dd at 25 40d so on and so on the last time I can recall a 44dd it was 4years ago but now they are 50Gs and I hoping they dont get no bigger I'm a low income mom and can't afford to get them reduced.

Breast reduction as a low income mom

Based on your description and photo, you have very large breasts.  Given that you have medical indications to undergo breast reduction, your insurance company or Medicaid may cover for your procedure.  Ask your primary physician to give you a referral to a board-certified plastic surgeon who accepts your health plan.  I do think you will benefit from breast reduction.  Good luck to you.

Low income breast reduction

It seems clear that you need a breast reduction for medical reasons. Insurance should cover this surgery for you. See your regular doctor for a referral to a board certified plastic surgeon or if you don't have a regular doctor, your local medical society or hospital may help you find one and get medicaid. Good luck to you.

Margaret Skiles, MD (retired)
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Need breast reduction (photo)

You have what I would consider disabling gigantomastia, and reduction mammaplasty is indicated.  You may qualify for Medicaid, which will cover the procedure if performed by a participating surgeon in a contracted facility.

Steve Laverson, MD

Breast Reduction Candidate and Insurance Coverage

Candidates for #BreastReduction surgery are women who wish to have smaller #breasts to achieve a more proportional appearance or to alleviate physical discomfort. Breast reduction can correct symptoms from excessively #largeheavybreasts that may cause the inability to do certain exercises, or create back, shoulder and neck pain, poor posture, bra-strap shoulder indentations and chafing or rashes under the breasts. Women experiencing these discomforts may benefit from Breast Reduction, also called #ReductionMammoplasty.
Large breasts (#macromastia) or #breast hypertrophy can occur in a variety of conditions (family trait, post pregnancy, excessive adolescent growth). In general when the excessive #breast size causes functional problems, insurance will generally pay for the operation if more than 400 – 500 grams are removed from each breast dependent on your individual i company requirements. These problems may include neck pain, back or shoulder pain, hygiene difficulty, and breast pain. Other problems which are less likely to be covered by insurance include skin irritation, skeletal deformity, breathing problems, psychological/emotional problems, and interference with normal daily activities. Pre-authorization by the insurance company is required prior to surgery, and the process can take approximately one month to complete.
Insurance companies have a number of requirements and an examination will be able to determine if you are a candidate for reduction. Pre-authorization by an insurance company is required prior to surgery, and the process takes approximately one month.
It may be best to see a plastic surgeon who can contact your insurance company for authorization following a #breast examination to document of your symptoms.
Also, you should also consider seeing your primary physician for an examination and documentation as well. Although, we do not accept insurance, our staff will assist patients in obtaining a pre-authorization so they may attempt to be reimbursed for their out of pocket expenses.

Insurance Coverage for Breast Reduction

Based on your description and photo, you may be eligible for Medicaid or private insurance to cover the cost of the procedure. Consult with 3 board certified plastic surgeons in your network, or request your primary care physician to provide you a referral if you are in an HMO.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Insurance May Cover Your Procedure

The cost in Toronto, Ontario ranges from $4000 to $6000. Factors that influence cost include the city in which you're located, the surgeon, surgical facility fees, technique and anesthesia. The price quoted generally includes all fees, but you should ask your surgeon to see if that applies.  

Because of the size of your breasts, you may be able to have your surgery covered by insurance.  

Breast Reduction and Financing Options?

Thank you for the question and picture. You may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery; it would be in your best interest to reach a long-term stable weight prior to undergoing this procedure. Doing so will minimize the chances of perioperative complications and also minimize the chances that further surgery will be necessary in the future.

In regards to financing the operation, your breast reduction may be covered through health insurance and/or Medicare/Medi-Cal coverage. Otherwise, one option would be to consider a university teaching hospital.  If these options are not viable, you will have to  save for the procedure.

Best wishes with your efforts; breast reduction is one of the most patient pleasing operations performed.