Itchy body from coolsculpting. Could my liver be in overload?

I got coolsculpting five days ago on my abdomen and my whole body is itchy. My fingers started to swell and I develop rashes that come and go. Could my liver be in overload?

Itching after Coolsculpting

The liver cannot get overloaded from Coolsculpting. The procedure can cause temporary inflammation to the treated area resulting in mild itching or irritation. I recommend contacting your physician as they can recommend a medication to relieve the inflammation. 

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Coolsculpting

Itching in the area treated with Cool sculpting is a common adverse reaction. It helps to ice the area or take oral Benadryl. If the itching continues for more than a week, you should contact your doctor. Cool sculpting is FDA approved and will not harm your liver. 

Coolsculpting is an excellent form of non-invasive  fat reduction for the right patient. Some applicators take 1 or 2 hours but the new advantage applicators take only 35 minutes and have significantly less risk for delayed onset pain (especially in the abdomen). Results are seen at 2 months and typically 1-3 treatments will be necessary on each area to achieve ideal results. The number of treatments depends on the amount of fat there and the patient's goals.  There is not downtime and the results can be impressive in the right patient.  We also use the Zimmer Z-wave for improved patient comfort and added results. The best candidates are those who are in pretty good shape with areas of stubborn fat that won't go away no matter what.

My best,

Sheila Nazarian, MD, MMM

Beverly Hills, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

CoolSculpting Side Effects

Itching and inflammation are common side effects from CoolSculpting.  These will usually pass within a few days.  You can ice the area to help with inflammation and use benadryl at night to help with the itching.  If this persists after a week, check with your provider.  CoolSculpting is very safe and will not cause an "overload" on the liver.   

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

Itching after coolsculpting

It is to be expected to have itching in the area of treatment during the period just after treatment.  Itching in other areas of the body and swelling needs to be evaluated by your physician.  Good luck with your treatment.

Michelle Ellern, DO
Livingston Physician

Itching post Coolsculpting

Itching is a common response from the body post Coolsculpting. Swelling and redness has also been seen in the area treated, post treatment. If you have concerns, I would suggest that you reach out to your provider for guidance.

Steven H. Dayan, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Itching from CoolSculpting

Hello, Your liver can't "overload" from Coolsculpting as its a very safe procedure. It can cause minor local irritation and sometimes late onset pain, so I would recommend to check with you physician to see what else could cause your symptoms and to take some OTC medication  to reduce local swelling and inflammation.

Best 

Itching after CoolSculpting - a temporary side effect

CoolSculpting can temporarily cause some minor inflammation in the area treated.  This inflammation can cause mild itching or irritation for some patients.  CoolSculpting does not cause your liver to go into overload, as you describe.  Call your physician - she may recommend an over-the-counter or prescription medication to relieve some of the itch.  

Jill C. Fichtel, MD
Columbus Dermatologic Surgeon

No, don't worry. It will pass. It is just irritation from the procedure and should pass in the next week or so. If you get concerned just follow up with your provider.

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

After Coolsculpting, liver overloaded?

The liver will not get overloaded from Coolsculpting. I would discuss the itching with your doctor. I would be surprised if this was related to your procedure. Use Zimmer Z Wave and Cooladvantage for better and quicker results.

Steven F. Weiner, MD