What is Minimum Recovery Time for Breast Lift with Augmentation?

I am planning a vacation to Aruba in June and wondering if 2 months is long enough time to recovery properly so I can enjoy myself. Also, I am working on losing my last 10 lbs before I schedule surgery. If I am 10 lbs from my goal weight will that make a huge difference?

Recovery after breast lift

Thank you for your question. You definitely want to follow your own surgeon's post-op activity instructions. This is a general guide I give to my patients as to the recovery
Week 1) Discomfort level progressively decreases with each day. Swelling decreases a great deal after one week. Most people return to work in some capacity. Driving is feasible if you are not on narcotics.
Week 2) Unlikely to need any narcotic support except maybe at night. Swelling continues to improve compared to week 1
Weeks 3-6) May need tylenol or ibuprofen for intermittent discomfort. Swelling completely resolved. May need additional few months for implants to settle into their final position.

As far as activity, here is a safe guide:
1) No heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 6 weeks.
2) Resume walking at a leisurely pace right after surgery (e.g. 2 mph)
3) At 2 weeks, you can walk 2 miles at 2mph
4) At 3 weeks, you can walk 3 miles at 3mph
5) At 4 weeks, you can walk 4 miles at 4mph
6) At 5 weeks, you can jog 5 miles at 5mph
7) At 6 weeks, you can resume all activities, but listen to your body and use discomfort or tightness as a guide so you don't over do it.

So in short, you should be able to go Aruba and enjoy. Also, if you are only 10 lbs from the goal weight, I would not worry unless you feel like your breast size is very sensitive to weight changes and you want to do sizing when you reach your goal.

Recovery from breast augmentation-lift

It usually takes at least 6 weeks for your breasts to heal after a breast augmentation and lift, so you should be fine to go on vacation after two months.  But everybody heals differently, so it's best to discuss this with your plastic surgeon. And I would advise you to stay covered and wear sunblock with a strong SPF while in Aruba ... the sun is strong and you don't want to darken your fresh scars, so be careful!

Re: Recovery time

Lucky you! You'll look great in a bikini in Aruba within 2 weeks. Your activities will be limited to lifting no more than 20 lbs the first week following your surgery and cardio limited to walking for the first 2 weeks. By 3 weeks, you can begin doing some low-impact more aggressive cardio and can start to lift weights by 4 weeks. You can shower within 2 days of your surgery but avoid soaking in a pool/bathtub/ocean for 3 weeks. Two months is PLENTY of time to heal for your trip. 

Brett E. Stompro, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation and Recovery

Your recovery after a breast augmentation should be very easy and going on vacation even a couple of weeks after a breast augentation should be no problem, especially if you have a 24 hour rapid recovery breast augmentation.  With the 24 hour rapid recovery breast augmentation protocol, you will be up ad doing things the next day and all without the use of any narcotics.  You can get out to the gym in about 4 to 7 days as well.  Going on vacation should not be any problem other than the potential for some bruising that may be visible if you wear a two piece for a couple of weeks should you get bruising.I hope that helps.Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Be ready to experience some pain, tightness and swelling during the first week of recovery. This is common response for this procedure, so you should be pain-controlled and rest for at least 4 days.

Generally after any breast procedure I recommend from 1 week  to 10 days staying at home.Recovery may be slower, especially when it is sub-muscular placement. Some patients experience pain more than predicted, if this happens you should be reviewed and pain relief increased.

You should avoid lifting significant weight, moving too fast, swimming at least 4 -8 weeks while your wounds are healing. 

Please always take in mind that each patient responds differently to pain and surgery. I tried to describe the usual or common response for Breast Augmentation procedure.

Ercan Karacaoglu, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Recovery time after Breast Augmentation

Hi and thank you for your question.
Two months should be enough time for you to heal and be ready for vacation. Check with your surgeon for his/her instructions. Best of luck and enjoy!

Recovery after a Breast Augmentation and Breast Lift

Thank you for your question.  To begin I think it is important to recommend that you follow your own surgeons post-op instructions with regards to recovery and expectations.  With that said, below is a guide that I typically use for my patients regarding the breast augmentation recovery process:

If your implants are placed below the chest muscle, you should expect that initially your implants will look 'high, hard, and ugly,' and can take up to 3-4 months to settle completely.

Patients are expected to wear a light weight compression sports bra and breast strap for 4 weeks following their procedure.

Most of my patients return to work and normal activities (with the exception of exercising and/or heavy lifting) 48 hours after their augmentation.  

Discomfort will get better with each and every passing day and you can begin driving once you are comfortable doing so and off of pain medication for at least 24 hours.

Patients should sleep on their back for the first couple of weeks following their augmentation.

Patients should avoid any exercising and/or heavy lifting (including gym, treadmill, elliptical, yoga, pilates, spin class, weight training, sports) for 4 weeks following their procedure.

So what does this mean?  You should be able to not only go on your vacation to Aruba but also enjoy and take full advantage of your vacation that is scheduled 2 months after a breast augmentation procedure.  Your implants may not be completely settled and you might still be a little swollen, but you should still be able to enjoy yourself while away.  I would caution you that sun (UVA and UVB) rays can increase your risk for poor scarring, so I recommend that all of my patients use BioCorneum post-op to help with scarring as it contains SPF in it as well.  I hope this helps!

Recovery Time for Breast Lift and Augmentation

Thank you for your question. I have included some typical expectations of breast surgery recovery and signs to watch for following breast augmentation:

• Stiffness, swelling and bruising in the chest region: These are normal experiences as the skin, muscles and tissue heal. Pain medication and muscle relaxants will help you cope with any discomfort. Consistent sharp pain should be reported to your board-certified surgeon.
  • Hypersensitivity of nipples or lack of sensitivity: This is normal and will gradually resolve over time.
  • A mild to severe itchy feeling of the breasts is possible as healing progresses. An antihistamine like Benadryl can help to alleviate severe, constant itchiness. If the skin becomes red and hot to the touch, contact your board-certified surgeon immediately.
  • Asymmetry, the breasts look different, or heal differently: Breasts may look or feel quite different from one another in the days following surgery. This is normal. No two breasts in nature or following surgery are perfectly symmetrical.
  • Discuss returning to work with your board-certified surgeon, in our office it is typically 3-5 days post-surgery but you may not overexert yourself or do any heavy lifting.
  • You may resume exercise and your normal routine at six weeks unless your surgeon advises otherwise.
Best of luck to you and enjoy Aruba!

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Recovery After Breast Augmentation And Lift

The optimal recovery to resume normal activities is 3 - 4 weeks, and 4 - 6 weeks recovery to resume aggressive physical activities. Losing 10 pounds prior to surgery, depending on your current height and size, will not make a significant difference in the outcome after breast augmentation with a lift.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

2 months is a generous recovery time

Typically 2 months would be enough time to enjoy yourself after surgery.  You might not be able to do vigorous water sports or play golf, but you should be healed well enough to enjoy the beach.  Your weight goals should not have a significant impact in this situation.