How to Minimize Scarring After Areola Reduction Surgery?

20 yr old female, 36D no sag, areolas 6cm in diameter. My areolas stick out of my clothes and bras and it's embarrassing. It's hard to find good post-op pictures bc many reductions were done with a breast lift or implant. I noticed the outline of the new areola looks unnaturally circular. Is there a way to reduce them by making the incision just inside the areola circumference and use that as the outer circle? When I pinch that area of my areola it gets smaller and it looks more natural to me.

Areolar reduction with incision within the areola

Yes, it certainly is possible to make the areolar reduction incision just within the areola itself.  You are correct that the appearance of a scar that replaces the normal "fading out" of the areola is a little unnatural and sharp.  However, a scar within the areola itself may become white, and may stand out because of the darker tissue on each side of the lighter-colored scar.

Be sure to ask your surgeon about the pros and cons of the different ways of doing surgery.

Managing Scars after Areola Reduction Surgery

Your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. 

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff. In the future, if you are concerned with scars, with your surgeon's approval you may be able to use scar management treatments such as Biocornuem,  Scar Guard, Scar Fade,  IPL Laser,  Yag Laser,   5fu/Kenalog for thick scars, or silicone sheeting.