Wearing the compression band gives me pain on my upper pole near the sternum. Is this normal? Should I stop wearing it? (Photo)

15 days since my BA. 450ccs under the muscle. Recovery is being painful. Implants are still sitting quite high, so my surgeon suggested wearing a compression band for the first two weeks all day long and night. The problem is that when I wear it, the inner upper part of both of my breasts feels discomfort and pain. It goes away when I lean back or lay down to sleep and when I stand up the pain comes back. Is this pain normal? Why? Should I keep wearing this device? Can I take ibuprofen? Thanks!

Post op Breast Pain

Hi, and congrats on your recent breast operation. Wearing compression garments 24 hours per day can be very uncomfortable and cause some skin irritation. Your breasts appear totally normal for the amount of time that you are out from surgery. The choice of garments is specific to your surgeon and I would bring these concerns up with him/ her. For my own patients I find that compression garments for breast augmentation aren't necessary and that the implant will drop into place at approximately 8 weeks post op. However, post op care is dependent on surgeon's preference and surgical technique.

Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants - Compression Bands

I appreciate your question.
The compression band you are wearing may be too tight.  Please see your Surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend treatment plan since they are most familiar with your medical history.
The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Breast implants and bands

Hi,

Thanks for posting your question. I am happy to try and help you. It is important to remember that a board certified plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, and concerns.

Having said that, you should really speak to your PS. I am concerned that you may require a breast lift to get your nipple in a better position. I doubt the band will achieve a satisfactory result. At this point, a breast lift would have to be done at least 4-6 months after the augmentation to allow the breast implants to settle.

I hope you found this helpful. Have a great day.

Compression band

Thank you for your question and photos. Your Plastic Surgeon may have preferred post op medication and prefer that you avoid Ibuprofen for a time.

The compression band you are wearing may be too tight. I recommend that you see your Surgeon in person to address this and determine cause of pain. You will need to rule out other issues.

All the best

Breast augmentation early post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

In my practice, after performing a breast augmentation I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. Also I suggest to take antiinflamatory pills. 

Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Pain with compression

I  would be careful of ibroprofin and stick with Tylenol or vicodin.You can probably go without strap for awhile.The left breast looks bigger and I wonder if maybe there is a hematoma.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Wearing the compression band gives me pain on my upper pole near the sternum. Is this normal? Should I stop wearing it?

Over the internet we can not advise specific treatments. Best to see your surgeon in person. I see you used a "clinica" but the operative surgeon does have a private office where you could contact him for in person flop up care. Otherwise 'demand' the "clinica' give you specific instructions.. 

Compression band

Contact your surgeons office for his or her advice. Every surgeon has different post operative instructions and their reasons for them. Good luck, Dean Vistnes. 

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Upper pole band

Follow up with you surgeon and have them evaluate the band you are wearing. If they think it is still necessary, have them check it to be sure it is being the band is being worn properly and not too tight. Wearing it on top of a thin tee shirt can also make it more comfortable.

No use for bands

I have no use for bands.  After breast augmentation I find no particular advantage to the use of surgical bras. In fact, I find that they can do more harm than good. They hold the implants too high, preventing them from dropping into position. In addition, they can put pressure on the healing breast or the wound. They provide no advantage. If the surgery was performed correctly, external appliances after surgery are unnecessary to achieve the appropriate final implant position. At one month we allow the patients to wear a soft cup bra with no underwire. At two months, they can wear any bra with a wire without push up. Before three months it is not wise to buy a whole new set of bras. By six months, the bra size is not going to change. You need to try bras on. Being measured is almost never productive and almost always oversizes. Find the ones that you like the way they fit.