My question is, does having the UTI no matter how slight it is, complicate my surgery? thank you!

I have breast augmentation surgery scheduled for tomorrow. My surgeon request a CBC and pregnancy test. Both came out fine and I am not pregnant. I went to my PCP about one week ago for a regular check up and my dr office just called to inform me that i have a slight urinary tract infection and sent me antibiotics to the pharmacy to start taking post surgery. My question is, does having the UTI no matter how slight it is, complicate my surgery? thank you!

Question: does having the UTI no matter how slight it is complicate my surgry?

It would be in the best interest to speak to your surgeon.  It is against best medical practice to perform surgery on an elective basis when an infection is present in the body.  This is particulary relevant when a foreign body is being inserted.

Best to consult a Board Certified By the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Good luck to you.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Good luck to you.

Thank you for your question.  I am sorry to hear of your UTI issues but remember that a breast augmentation is an elective procedure and one that should have all possible risks minimized in order to ensure your safety.  Though the risk is minimal I would ensure that any and all infections have been resolved before placing a permanent implant within the body.  

UTI and Breast Augmentation

That's a difficult situation to find yourself in! I'm sorry.

A breast augmentation is a purely elective surgery and involves introducing a foreign body (the implant), which can predispose you to problems in the setting of an infection.  If you truly have a UTI then I would strongly advocate waiting until you are treated before proceeding with surgery.

It might, however, be worth clarifying with your PCP regarding the UTI.  Generally, people that have a UTI are symptomatic - they often have urgency, frequency, blood in the urine, and pain.  It doesn't sound like you are having those symptoms and you stated that you had a "slight urinary tract infection".  It is possible if you have no symptoms that the sample was contaminated, which can easily happen if you don't get a clean, mid-stream sample.  Repeating the study may be worth while.  Unfortunately it won't be able to be confirmed before tomorrow, so I would definitely delay your surgery until you have sorted it out.  Good luck.

UTI and Breast Augmentation

UTI and surgery

Any type of infection can complicate surgery.  Results of a urine test have to be taken in context with other blood work and symptoms.  Best of luck.

UTI and surgery

UTI and Surgery

Having any kind of infection in your body prior to surgery whether tiny or full blown can lead to a greater infection. I would advise for you to be completely healthy before having any surgery done.

UTI and Surgery

UTI and breast augmentation

Breast augmentation is an elective procedure, and therefore, the patient should be in optimal health prior to the operation. The one risk that plastic surgeons worry about when there is a potential infection in the body is the infection seeding the implant space causing a capsular contracture (hardening of the scar tissue around the implant resulting in a hard, distorted breast). This may not happen, but many plastic surgeons will not take this risk. An option would be to get a follow up urine test to see if the infection has resolved prior to your surgery. Discuss this with your surgeon.

UTI and breast augmentation

This is a 'what if' question! What if you do the surgery and an infection ensures? Best to postpone surgery, be placed on antibiotics for 10 days , retest the urine til clear, reschedule surgery. But best to discuss with your chosen operative PS, don't you think?