Can taking pain meds before surgery affect the anesthesia?

I take pain meds tramadol or OxyContin PRN for acute pains caused by a specific condition none life treating that I could like to keep private, the pains can get bad so my doc gives them to for emergency use. would this affect Anethesia in any way? Should I try and be off of them a few weeks before surgery or does this not make any difference?

Pain management

For the patients that are already on pain medicine, we ask that they continue their baseline levels.  The supplemental narcotics helps with the surgical pain.  It is often best to have the pain management specialist managing the narcotics.

Taking pain medicines and anesthesia inter-actions

Thank you for your question about your liposuction.

• Let your surgeon and the anesthesiologist know what you are taking, how much and how often.
  • You may need more medication during surgery than usual if you take these medicines often.
  • Have your surgeon discuss the situation with your prescribing doctor.
  • Ask your prescribing doctor if you can stop the medicines and for how long.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

YES of course, it would make your recovery very very painful and difficult. Maybe you need to reconsider surgery until off all pain meds for 6 months....

All medications that you're currently using have to be discussed with your surgeon- in order to coordinate proper post-operative pain management.

The chronic use of narcotic pain medications can result in a greater need for narcotics during and after surgery for pain control. In some cases where patients take narcotics provided by their "Pain" physician, I will defer pain management following surgery to their pain physician. In your case, it would be best to discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon to determine if you should stay on your meds or not. Thanks for your question. Best wishes.

Gregory Park, MD

Taking pain medication prior to general anesthesia can affect anesthetic management.

Patience is been on pain medication chronically  have a higher tolerance for narcotics which would influence the management by the anesthesiologist