Do Any Medications Affect Coolsculpting Results?

Hello, Two of my friends and I were wondering: post-Coolsculpting procedure, are there any medications that could negatively affect treatment results? Do anti-inflammatories, antidepressants (such as Prozac), or birth control affect our physiology in such a way as to hinder the reduction of fat in the treated area? Thank you!

CoolSculpting for fat reduction and concurrent medication

I am not aware of any negative interaction with birth control pills and antidepressants. There might be a theroretical concern (but this hasn't been studied that I'm aware) that non-steroidal antiinflammatory agents could decrease the body's response needed to metabolize the dead fat cells. I have had patients in my NYC practice that have had CoolSculpting by Zeltiq, while needing to be on Ibuprofen or other non-steroidal antiinflammatory agents and did well.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice.  The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs.

Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Coolsculpting

There is no research that indicates that these medication could alter coolsculpting results. 

Sheila Nazarian MD,MMM

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Medications affecting CoolSculpting?

I am not aware of any of these medications affecting the results of CoolSculpting. 

CoolSculpting does not rely on a inflammatory response to remove the fat cells from your body.  There are other methods of non-invasive fat removal that do rely on the body's inflammatory response to remove fat cells, but that is not the case with CoolSculpting. 

Jennifer Harrington MD

CoolSculpting Results

Thank you for your question. No, the use of Prozac or birth control will not affect your CoolSculpting results. 

Some medications may reduce the efficacy of CoolSculpting treatment

CoolSculpting is a very effective non-invasive treatment to eliminate unwanted fat. However, Prednisone as well as Non-Steroid Anti-Inflammatory Medications May Diminish the Effects of CoolSculpting. These include: aspirin, ibuprofen, cellcept, enbrel, methotrexate, cyclosporine, and many others. This is due to the fact that such drugs will slow down the activity of the immune system and may impair the ability of the body to remove the dead fat cells resulting from CoolSculpting treatment.