How soon after a breast reduction will I know my new bra size?

Final Bra Size after Breast Reduction

Most changes occur following breast reduction in the first several months. By the third month you will be close to your final bra size, but the final result may take up to a year.

Excellent question.  As I have mentioned before, it takes a good 3-6 months for the breasts to settle, for the swelling to subside, and for you to see the final result.  So give yourself 6 months before you go shopping for expensive bras.  Good Luck.

Ruben B. Abrams, MD, FACS

I suggest that you wait to evaluate the final result/size of the surgery (and go bra sizing/shopping)  when you are about 6 months to a year out.
I would also suggest that you do not base your satisfaction with the results of surgery on a specific cup size,  given that this is somewhat arbitrary and dependent on who makes the bra.
Hopefully you will  enjoy the physical, functional, and psychosocial benefits of the  breast reduction procedure.

Bra size after breast reduction

It takes a while for the breasts to settle after surgery. I allow my patients to wear regular bras at 4 weeks but make them wait 3 months before wearing underwire bras. By this time the new breast shape and size is pretty much determined.

Ellen A. Janetzke, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

New Bra size

Thank you for your question.  After any breast augmentation procedure, the implants will sit high in the chest right after surgery.  Around the 4-6 month mark is when the breasts will typically be settled to final result, but around 6 weeks post op, you can consider wearing sexier bras just for special occasion, but it is recommended to continue wearing a supportive bra to prevent the breasts from dropping too low.

Best regards,
Dr. Lane F. Smith, MD
Plastic Surgeon
Las Vegas, NV

Lane Smith, MD

Breast reduction and new size

You have to give your breasts some time to settle down. This can take 4-6 months minimum to see the final result.  Uusally by about 6 weeks you will have a general idea where you are.