Could I have a mastectomy for cosmetic reasons?

I am mid in my 60's. 25 years agoI had a modified radical mastectomy and immediate reconstruction with implant. Five years ago I had my implant removed. My breast is a B cup. I hate bras and wearing any bra and a prosthesis. I am slim and would not mind being flat. I could hide it by the way I dress. Will a PS do this for me?

Elective Mastectomy

The short answer is "yes". Many women who have had mastectomies choose not to have reconstruction. As long as you understand all of the issues and make an informed decision the procedure can certainly be done. Good luck.

Although not common, that procedure can certainly be done. If your doctor can make a good case for doing the procedure to correct the asymmetry of a cancer surgery, there is a good chance your insurance would cover it.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Cosmetic mastectomy

• Yes, this is definitely possible to have a cosmetic mastectomy on the side that did not have cancer.
  • This would not be likely to be covered by insurance unless there was a related  medical reason for the surgery. Best wishes.

Simple mastectomy for symmetry

It is certainly possible for you to have a simple mastectomy for symmetry purposes.  Discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon or a general surgeon.  

? Mastectomy ?

The way to find out is to call a plastic surgeon or breast surgeon and set up a consultation.

All the best.