Fraxel laser on implants?

i had surgery few years ago but if i want a less noticeable scar from my incision under my breast will the laser destroy my implant or what if i had my incisions on my areola? Also what if i have forehead implant or nose job. Or will the heat will affect the implants? Thanks

Fraxel Laser and Implants

Fraxel is a great laser but should not penetrate the implants.  The laser does not penetrate that deeply so it should have no effect.  I do Fraxel on scars such as these all of the time and it works very well.  Best, Dr. Green

Fraxel Laser

Fraxel laser treatments only affect the skin, and implants are generally placed far enough under the skin that there should be no problem with the treatment. Fraxel treatments can help with the appearance of scars, and have been used before on implant scars with no adverse effect on the implant itself.We often combine this with a pulse dye laser, as this will help the redness of the scar, which is often also problematic.

Kimberly Butterwick, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Fraxel laser on implants

The laser only penetrates to a maximum of 2mm within the skin so the procedure will not affect the implants, which are usually placed deep under the skin or muscle.

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Fraxel laser on implants?

Almost all implants are placed deeper than the skin or even the subcutaneous fat, and sometimes even deeper than the muscle. Fraxel® resurfacing laser smooths skin/pores/scrars only at the level of the skin, so it would be unusual for a Fraxel® laser treatment to disrupt an implant in any way.

Manjula Jegasothy, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Fraxel laser on implants

Thank you for submitting your question.   I use the fraxel laser on all of my post operative scars at 2-3 weeks post op.  The laser will not affect your implants and the depth is at the level of the skin between 0.4mm-2.0mm depending on the settings).  Good Luck

Heat from Fraxel laser will not affect implants

Don't worry about the laser affecting any implant in the body. The laser only goes about 1.8mm maximum. I've have used this laser for scars of the breast often without complications.

Steven F. Weiner, MD