31 Year Old Male, Looking for Best Treatment for Malar Crescents (photo)

I have a line on my face on each side of my nose. It extends from the junction between my nose and inside of eye to the edge of my cheek bone on each side of my face. I have had these since I was 25. I went to see a plastic surgeon who informed that what I had was Malar Crescents. Since I'm 31 and don't really actually have any other wrinkles he did not recommend any type of surgery. He recommended using Radiesse to fill the crescent. What is the best treatment for Malar Crescents?

Doctor Answers 8

Malar Cresents

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

These malar cresents are best treated with a filler. I personally use Juvederm but others use Radiesse with excellent results.

Treaatment of Malar Grooves

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I agree with your physician and would recommend the injection of Radiesse in these grooves. I cannot see the complete contour of your cheeks with this picture, but you can also consider a limited lateral cheek lift or a silicone implant .

Richard W. Fleming, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

Cheeks in men - perfect place for filler agents

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Cheeks can be augmented in men and women safely with fillers. Judging by your picture, you would be a good candidate. Make sure you go to a doctor who is experienced in doing the procedure in both, men and women.

Gary Goldenberg, MD
New York Dermatologist

Combining Radiesse & Juvederm UltraPlus XC Works Well For Cheek Creases or Crescents

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

With the passage of time, and at varying rates among different individuals, there can be a separation between the fat that covers the actual area overlying the cheekbone and the fat that gravitationally slips downward and inward toward the nose. At first, this separation, called the malar crease, appears more like a darkish line. With time, however, an actual triangular wedge-shaped dent may appear.

For several years already, I have achieved consistently gratifying results for treating this condition using a combination of Radiesse, a semipermanent volumizing filler, and Juvederm UltraXC to smooth and shape the middle cheek and signficantly diminishing the appearance of the line or triangular depression. The Radiesse provides for a more long-lasting result and the Juvederm permits the security of the subsequent use of hyaluronidase to diminish the correction, if deemed necessary, although the latter is seldom required when performed by an experienced injector with an artistic eye. This technique is not to be confused with a cheek augmentation, which specifically enhances the cheekbone regions.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD
New York Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

31 Year Old Male, Looking for Best Treatment for Malar Crescents

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A soft tissue filler, like Perlane, would be my first choice to fill in that area as well as augment the cheeks.  If you wanted something a bit more permanent with more augmentation, you could consider silastic Cheek Implants.

Francis R. Palmer, III, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

Radiesse for malar crescents

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I agree with your doctor that Radiesse is the best filler/treatment for this area. Radiesse is injected deeper, beneath the skin, and will generate more volume to create a much better lifting effect and therefore a better, longer lasting result than the other fillers. Since Radiesse is not reversible, it is especially important to remember that the experience and technique of the physician injecting Radiesse is the most critical part to your achieving a beautiful, natural result. I have been injecting Radiesse for over 8 years and have never had a problem using it in a first time patient.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

A filler is probably a good choice

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Injecting a filler in to this area will definitely help smooth it out. While I agree that Radiesse would be a good choice, I usually don't like to do Radiesse on first time filler patients. I prefer to start with Restylane or Juvederm so that the patient and I both know that if they really don't like how fillers work or look, the product can be taken out with hyaluronidase to allow the patient to return to their baseline. There is no product available to counter Radiesse so if patients don't like it, they just have to wait for it to disappear on its own, which can be upwards of a year.

Malar edema (crescent) treatment

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Fillers as your doctor are an option.  This is a problem that does not have an easy solution.  Without the benefit of an exam in person, it looks to me like you have malar edema.  This is a collection of fluid under the skin based more on your individual anatomy, than anything else.  In at least 50% of cases, I have been able to resolve this using a tiny, micro liposuction cannula to both remove tissue, as well as to create scar tissue beneath the skin. 

Post-operatively, I place a small cotton dental roll, or a small piece of rolled up gauze, taped over the area for 24 to 48 hours.  The results are variable, no has gotten worse, and at least 50% of the people have complete resolution.

Darrick E. Antell, MD
Manhattan Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 37 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.