How small can I go with a breast reduction?

I am a 34D. I want to get a reduction because a D cup feels too big for my figure. I'm only 5'0 and 105lbs, so I'm quite petite. Could I be able to go from a D cup to an A cup? I want to go as small as I can. I'm 19 years old.

How small can I go with a breast reduction

You can reduce your breasts as much as you wish.  Just be clear with your surgeon and be sure of your decision.

Reductions will reduce the size of your breasts

but trying to go below a B cup can be very challenging.  I've done transgenders who didn't want breasts and they essentially got a subcutaneous nipple sparing mastectomy.  The challenges in achieving a small cup is getting the base diameter right as its more common to have a very broad base with reductions.  Your surgeon can be aggressive in the approach but an A cup, in my opinion, is not really achievable with one procedure and subsequent revisions may help you there.

Curtis Wong, MD

Thank you for your question.  You need to be evaluated in person by a board-certified plastic surgeon to determine what would be both best and realistic for you.  

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Breast size

During a breast reduction the surgeon must leave enough tissue to maintain blood supply to the nipple.  I never promise a cup size, because all bras fit differently.  I tell my patients who want to be small that I will make the breasts as small as I can while maintaining adequate blood supply to the skin and nipple.  That being said a "B cup " should be attainable ,maybe even smaller.  Discuss your expectations with your surgeon.  Jane

Breast Reduction/ Breast Lift/ Liposuction/ Breast Implants/ Breast Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

This is a great question which is frequently asked by my patients. It's really important to try to help patients understand what options they have and why, but doing a good job with this might be one of our hardest challenges as surgeons. Sometimes patients with really excellent outcomes are unhappy. This should never happen, but it does.

I completely understand how someone your size would feel way too big, and unfortunately with age, your breasts typically get bigger. Not necessarily only in terms of volume, but also in terms of length, which may be just as troublesome. Having breast reduction surgery when you are young is, in my opinion, a great idea. Being young makes it even more crucial, however, to have a healthy functioning breast...with good circulation, natural appearance, and functioning nerves. The smaller you try to get, the more chance you will risk problems.

Long story short, you cannot choose a specific size and it is not possible using techniques that limit long term functional deficits to your breasts to become an A cup. It is possible to go from being way too big to simply big in one operation. For you this would be a B. Start with finding a surgeon whose patients are happy and whom you like. It sounds like you are an excellent patient for this procedure. Best wishes. I hope this helps.

Angela Keen, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Going to an A cup may not be possible but without photos there is no way to comment on you specifically. Why not see an experienced surgeon and then you will have your answer. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

How much of a breast reduction can I get

Hi and thank you for your question. What you're asking for is not unreasonable. The amount of tissue we reduce for you is determined by your goals. I think before you proceed the most important thing  you can do is explain very clearly to your surgeon exactly what it is that you expect.  That way he or she can deliver you a result that you'll be happy with. My suggestion is to find photos of breasts that represent the size you want to be. This can be very helpful for the surgeon  since no to A cups are exactly the same. I hope this helps. Good luck to you.Dr. West 

Justin West, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction

Hello, and thank you very much for your question.

Without photos it is very hard for me to be able to offer much advice.  Im sorry.

I can say this.  During a breast reduction proecure the breast is reconstructed in such a way, that it is very possible to removed dramatic amounts of tissue.  I have completed similar surgical cases and helped patients with silimar request.

All that to say, it is not out of the realm of possibility, but I would suggest you see a doc in person to get firm answers.

All the best.  Please make sure your plastic surgeon is board certified.

Thank you,

Dr. Obeng
Beverly Hills, CA

Michael K. Obeng, MD, FACS

Breast Reduction

Thank you for the question but without photos or an examination it is difficult to make an intelligent recommendation other then to say your breasts can be reduced significantly.  So see some experts in your area.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD