Long term results & side effects of SculpSure?

I'm a 59 yr old woman, considering SculpSure for my thighs, arms, and abdomen. My doctor thinks I'm a good candidate. Please explain this light/laser therapy, scientifically? What is it on the light/laser scale in science terms? I've see the videos and photos, but don't understand the procedure. Also, will my body revert in 5 or 10 years in some weird way? Will this ruin my body? I am active and work out eat carefully, but have trouble losing 20 pounds, post menopause.

SculpSure

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question. SculpSure utilizes heat on the subcutaneous fat to destroy it. Meanwhile, the feeling of heat on your body is counteracted through Contact CoolingTM technology to prevent damage to the skin and keep you, the patient, comfortable. I suggest that you next consult in person with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

SculpSure and Fat Melting

SculpSure
kills fat cells and eliminates them permanently. The only side
effects I've seen are short-term bruising, swelling, lumpiness and
soreness. This should all subside within days to months. Final
results take about three to four months to see. Your body will not
“revert,” unless you gain weight. Please see an expert. Best, Dr.
Emer

SculpSure is light (laser)

SculpSure uses light to travel through the  skin (which is cooled) and as the light penetrates into the fat, the fat cell is damaged.  Over the next weeks to months the damage fat cells and their fat are metabolized.The body does not make new fat cells, so this area will be reduced.  SculpSure can be a great jump start to further weight loss.  Stressing your damaged fat cells with a diet during the recovery period should help further.Best wishes,Dr. Denkler

Depends where the 20 lbs are located

You mentioned that you are having difficulty losing 20 lbs and this is a common complaint of my patients after menopause, etc. SculpSure is indicated if it is in specific locations (abdomen, flanks, thighs, etc). If the weight is spread around everywhere, this may not be the correct procedure. Having said that however, the 1064 nm wavelength laser penetrates 3 cm and is excellent at causing destruction of fat cells. The surface cooling on the SculpSure keeps any thermal damage from occurring. In terms of what we will look like in 10 years, I don't think any physician will make a suggestion about that, but we can only predict that there may be improved technology in the future to solve those issues.

SculpSure is safe

SculpSure uses a laser that targets fat cells.  Laser stands for "light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation".  In slightly simpler terms, a beam of light that is coherent and consists of electromagnetic rays of light of the same wavelength.  The amplitude of a laser depends on it's source (ie ruby, CO2, diode).  The light can be absorbed, reflected or dispersed.  Different wavelengths of light are absorbed by different colors and objects.  If an object absorbs the light energy it will heat up and could lead to disruption.The SculpSure laser is from a diode, similar to bar code readers, DVD readers and laser pointers.  The wavelength is 1060 nanometers, which is the frequency that fat cells will absorb the energy.  An applicator panel is placed on the skin with the laser confined to the applicator head. The laser is turned on and penetrates through the skin, without harming it, and targets the fat cells.  The cells absorb the heat and are disrupted, our body then removes the cellular debris during a process referred to as inflammation.  About 25% of the subcutaneous fat that is targeted is destroyed  and removed over 6-12 weeks.  Our bodies remove millions of dead cells daily on the skin and in the bowel.We are all born with a finite number of fat cells in our body.  As our weight fluctuates the cells increase and decrease in size.  If some fat cells are removed or destroyed, they are gone forever, they do not regenerate.  SculpSure safely destroys those fat cells without any residual damage to the surrendering tissues.  The result is permanent.The SculpSure session takes 25 minutes and is not painful.  There is no down time and no anesthesia or IV's are necessary.  It can be performed as an outpatient and repeat sessions are sometimes necessary to achieve the desired results.  Do not fear this new technology, it is not the future, it is now!Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Sculpsure

The sculpture machine is the newest noninvasive technology to improve contours of the body. Instead of liposuction, this laser dissolves fat without surgery. The laser energy bypasses the skin and the wavelength that is chosen targets specifically the fat cells and causes them to die. It generally takes 6 weeks to see the results. It is not uncommon, that 3 treatments are required. This treatment will not cause any permanent problems in the future. Realize this is not a treatment for weight loss.

Robert M. Wald, Jr., MD

How SculpSure Works

Thank you for your question. SculpSure works by emitting a laser that specifically targets fat cells. Although the applicators are placed on the skin, the laser bypasses the skin and because of a specific wavelength directly targets the adipocytes, or fat cells, and causes them to die. Then, your body naturally eliminates these cells over the next few months. Typically, people start to see results at around 6 weeks with full effects at 3 months. The laser can be placed on multiple settings, and during the start of the treatment, you are continually asked about how the procedure feels - so that the settings can be adjusted to have you hit your "fat destruction zone" setting.SculpSure is FDA-approved to treat the abdomen and flanks, but many clinicians are using it off-label to treat the arms and thighs - with good success. It is important to realize that it doesn't help your lose weight - but it does help to improve your overall contour, and lose inches. Best of luck! 

Anthony J. Taglienti, MD
Norristown Plastic Surgeon

SculpSure

SculpSure is an extremely effective non-surgical body contouring procedure. Ideal for treating stubborn pockets of fat, it is a specifically designed laser to target the fat cells, heating them so that they effectively die. Patients can expect about a 23% fat reduction in the treated areas. Very safe, the side effects include bruising and swelling. It typically takes at least 2 treatments for your final results, spaced 6-8 weeks apart. Hope this helps. 

SculpSure Results

Thank you for your question. SculpSure™ is FDA- approved and non-invasive treatment in killing fat cells in unwanted areas such as flanks, abdomen, upper arms, thighs, knees, and other locations with fat deposits. The heating energy of the SculpSure™ laser also causes the production of collagen and elastin, making the treated area look firmer and younger. Please note that while it does kill fat cells it does not treat cellulite. For more information, I recommend getting a in person consultation with a board-certified dermatologist. 

Bruce E. Katz, MD

SculpSure Technology

SculpSure works by engaging a controlled hypothermic 1060 nm wavelength to the body, targeting the fatty tissue. This wavelength is penetrated deep into the subcutaneous fat cells causing your body to eliminate the fat cells with minimal absorption in the dermis allowing for a safe and effective treatments for all skin types. The heated wavelength establishes a controlled hyperthermic temperature of 42°C and 47°C causing an injury to the adipose, without any damage to the dermal tissue. The damaged adipocytes will be absorbed and removed gradually by the body’s inflammatory process and the volume of fat in the treatment area will decrease. Patients can expect to see results in approximately 6 weeks with optimal results seen in 12 weeks. You may re-treat the same areas after 6 weeks.

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon