Can I have a facial after receiving Botox injections?

I get Botox done on my forehead for wrinkles. I also have acne in the area. Would doing a facial where they perform pimple extractions dislodge the Botox? Thank you in advance.

Combining med spa treatments can give even better results.

As you can see from the other answers here, there are varying opinions on when the best time to administer a facial is following your BOTOX® session. However, it’s very common to combine nonsurgical procedures like BOTOX® and facials to address multiple concerns, or to enhance the effects of both treatments. Although a facial that includes extractions won’t “dislodge” your BOTOX®, close coordination with a board certified plastic surgeon who’s experienced with all different types of med spa treatments is essential for seeing the best results. Additionally, working out an ongoing treatment program that incorporates a medical-grade skin care regimen can help minimize future blemishes and keep your skin looking more youthful for longer with or without BOTOX®.

Botox and acne treatments

Botox is a fabulous treatment for fine lines and generally I don't recommend facials for 24 hours after the injections. The next day you can safely have acne surgery, microdermabrasion, or oxygen facials.

Facials and Botox

Thank you for your question.  Our patients receive their facial prior to their Botox injection.  If you decide to receive Botox prior to your facial, just wait at least 14 days before receiving your facial.  The facial will not dislodge the Botox, so don't worry and enjoy the facial. 

R. Scott Yarish, MD

Botox and facials

Yes you can! But not right away, we would suggest waiting at least 4-6 weeks after receiving Botox to have a facial done. A deep facial too soon could spread the Botox to unwanted areas of the face and the associated facial muscles causing unwanted side effects.

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and facials

We recommend patients don't have a facial or any massaging to the face for 24 hours after Botox. After that you can do anything you'd like. While I don't recommend extractions ever, if you do them it's fine because the Botox is in the muscle, not the upper layers of the skin.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

I would recommend waiting at least 24 hours after Botox treatment before having Botox injections. However, in my experience, Botox can be injected immediately after the facial if the facial treatment is performed first. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon