Am I a candidate for calf and ankle liposuction? Should I get Vaser Hi Definition Lipo or traditional liposuction? (Photo)

Hi doctors. I am healthy, in my 20's, I weigh 120lbs and am 5"6. I am getting liposuction on my calves, ankles and knees. I have consulted with one doctor who has recommended Vaser Hi Defintion lipo rather than getting traditional liposuction. In all the information I have read online, it has always been recommended that you get traditional liposuction on this area with micro cannulas. I am a little confused now and hoping to get some clarity on the topic. Thank you.

Liposuction Options

There are many types of liposuction, all that matters is that the surgeon is experienced and does this routinely and has great technique, understands your goals, and picks the type of liposuction that is best for your case.  It is not the type that gives the best result, it is the physician.  I wish you the best of luck, Dr. Emer.

Liposuction of the calf and ankle area

I have successfully performed liposuction of the calf and ankle area. It is important that the surgeon use small cannulas and be conservative in removal of fat. These are areas where deformity may occur after injudicious liposuction. I am not sure if Vaser would be of any benefit – most experienced surgeons can get good results with traditional methods uing tumescent technique of. I personally prefer the MicroAire PAL system over Vaser.

Neal Handel, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Different machines , one technique

There are many machines in the market for lipo( laser, vaser,jet,etc..) we use many of them but the bottom line is the expertise of the surgeon performing this procedure. The machine can not perform for the surgeon. Calf lipo is better done with smaller caliber cannulas. 

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Calf and Ankle Liposuction Best Technology

Hello scalpelplease:

The doctor may use the device he or she currently has available.  This can be traditional (suction-assist), power-assist, laser-assist,  Vaser (which is a 4th generation ultrasonic device), Tickle Lipo (vibration-assist), Syringe-assist only,  Cooling external fat dissoving technology etc.  For lipo procedures on delicate areas and thin zones of the calves and ankles, it  is my feeling that less intense power be used during the suction. I prefer the traditional (suction-assist) only so I have complete control over the cannula movement.  The small microcannulaes of 1.7mm, 2.4 mm, and 3.0 mm size are used with this method. The noninvasive tissue cooling devices are not as precise and offer 12-25% improvement over 6-12 months. I believe they are not as ideal for calves and ankles.

With newer devices employing ultrasonic technology, there is less heat and tendency for skin inflammation.  Do not be confused.  Each surgeon will have a different perspective. I personally believe classic suction or traditional liposuction is preferred to avert skin healing issues. Liposuction of the calves and ankles with small microcannulas, is often an overlooked enhancement since many consumers are principally focused on the  abdomen, hips, and thighs.    Best wishes.

Donn Hickman, MD

Calf Reduction

Stubborn fat in the calves and ankles or “cankles” can be difficult to improve with just diet and exercise and patients who experiences this can benefit from liposuction. Calf and ankle liposuction can be performed as an outpatient procedure in a fully accredited ambulatory surgery facility with "twilight" anesthesia administered by a board certified anesthesiologist. I use several innovative forms of liposuction, including SmartLipo, in order to contour and resculpture the calves and ankles while providing the most beautiful results with minimal scarring. SmartLipo, used in combination with other forms of liposuction or alone, is a procedure that uses laser light to liquefy fat and tighten the surrounding skin. It involves less downtime and side-effects than traditional liposuction and is particularly good for small areas of fat deposits like the ankles. Liposuction works best on patients who are of relatively average weight, but who need help with a problem area. No, reshaping your body isn’t as easy as going to the beauty parlor. Surgery is never 100% risk free and the healing process requires patience and determination.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

Thank you for your question and it is not the type of liposuction cannula that makes the difference but the expert hand holding it so pick your surgeon wisely

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Calf and ankle liposuction is best done under local with the micro canulas.

Calf and ankle liposuction is only done by those of us who really specialize in liposuction and who use the micro cannulas under local for best results. Cost is roughly $5000-5500 on special for knees, calves and ankles. Sincerely, David Hansen,MD 

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Am I a candidate for calf and ankle liposuction? Should I get Vaser Hi Definition Lipo or traditional liposuction?

The calves and ankles are delicate areas. Its wonderful you are doing your research and I agree with your conclusions. Traditional liposuction with smaller cannulas delivers superb results in the right hands.

I hope this was helpful,

Dr. Daniel Barrett
Beverly Hills, CA

Daniel Barrett, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

I would try to avoid all of the marketing influence and try to pick your surgeon based upon record of results delivered.

Vaser Versus Traditional Liposuction

There are many liposuction devices that are touted in the media and by the surgeons that own them. Much of the hype is just that - hype. In reality, all patients with an excess of fat in a localized area are looking for the easiest, fastest, safest way to remove the fat and allow the skin to contract.
For the quickest easiest way to remove a large amount of fat, conventional liposuction (the vacuum) is ideal. In order to minimize the bruising and trauma associated with this technique and to increase the precision in smaller areas like the neck, power assisted liposuction is ideal.
If you do not want to undergo surgery, and are looking for an easier fix, there are cryolipolysis machines (cool lipo), laser type machines and radiofrequency machines that will do the trick. These machines will allow you to return to work on the same day if necessary. However, they will do only a fraction of the fat removal that liposuction will do. Further, if you truly want a significant amount of fat removed, then you will need many sessions at the doctors office and the cost will be more than a single liposuction procedure.
In the end, you get what you pay for in time and money. If you really want to see a well-sculpted change, find a board certified plastic surgeon will expertise in liposuction.
Good luck!

Robert M. Freund, MD