Loose Neck Skin, What Options do I Have other than a Full Neck Lift?

I dont need a facelift but I have a small amount of loose skin under my chin and 2 folds on my neck. I don't want or need a neck lift as its only loose skin nor do I need lipo as its not fat. As its minimal I would like a local anaesthetic, why do doctors not want to do these minimal corrections? when sometimes these small defects affect peoples self confidence like big problems? I am sick of wearing scarves because I hate my neck folds.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Removing some of the excess neck skin can be accomplished with an incision under the chin.  This can be combined with liposuctuion to remove excess fat (if present).  The incisions and healing time is a fraction of that associated with a formal Neck Lift.  You might want to try this first and see if you're happy.  Many of my patients have this and don't want a full neck lift although this could always be done afterwards if you did.

Limited neck procedure can work.

Limited procedures can work very well depending on how much of a problem you have and how

much of a result you want.

A more limited procedure would mean a 1" incision under your chin with elevation of the skin off

or the muscles over the mid part of your neck.  This exposes the muscle bands that are causing the

folds that you see in your neck.  The muscle bands need to be sewed together and then divided at

the lower part to give you a much better neck line.  The skin has to be lifted enough to allow the

excess skin to be redistributed over the neck.  This works very well.

E. Anthony Musarra II, MD

Neck lift

First, I would have to examine your neck to get an accurate idea of what can be offered.  A Mini-U-Lift(TM) can certainly be done under local for minor corrections.  If it is the platysmal bands causing the problem, Botox can be beneficial at times or they may required excision (also can be done under local).  RF ablation of the mid line area under the jaw can be done under local without incisions.  Find a Board-Certified Facial Plastic surgeon for a complete consultation.  

Good luck.

David Alessi, MD

A Limited Necklift will do the Job!

Most patients come to my office for one of three neck complaints;

1-Too much fat

2-Too much excess skin

3-Sagging of the platysma muscle - the vertical folds or bands that you talk about.

If you have too much fat - Then Liposuction!

If you have sagging plastysma muscle then Platsymaplasty. For many of my patients with little excess skin or fat, I can perform a corset platysmaplasty through a small scar under the chin under local anesthesia.

If you have execss skin - then a more thorough necklift is warranted with incisions behind the ears to remove the excess skin.

And for a small number of people, we can perform a limited necklift by removing the excess skin from directly under the neck.

Alternatives to Neck Lift Surgery

First, your cosmetic surgeon should evaluate to your particular aging pattern and anatomy. And of course, it is important to understand your goals such as acceptance of surgery, recovery and your desired longevity of the improvements.

Options range from non-surgical treatments such as Ultherapy to a comprehensive neck lift. And then there are a variety of surgical modifications possible. Consult with an experienced face and neck lift surgeon (or two) and have him/her outline your options. It is impossible to suggest the right approach from the distance.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Loose Neck Skin, What Options do Your Have Other Than a Full Neck Lift

It's difficult to determine if a non-surgical treatment will address your concern. Especially via online and without photos to view. Also, it really depends on the amount of #sagging you are experiencing.  If anything, non-surgical treatments may improve the appearance of your concern and many treatments may be required. A board-certified plastic surgeon should evaluate both your anatomical features and aesthetic goals to determine which option best suits your individual needs. Factors which are considered during your consultation to determine if you are a #candidate for #rejuvenating the neck include: 

•Visibility and amount of excess fat below the chin and along the neckline.
•The presence of banding down the front of the #neck.
•The amount of #excess skin and condition of your skin.
•Chin Deficiency.
•Presence of Prominent Digastric Muscles (a.k.a. submandibular gland fullness).

During your consultation, your chin will be evaluated along with the neck and jawline.  A weak #chin means there is not adequate chin support for the skin along the neck line. In younger individuals a chin implant alone is usually all that is needed to improve the appearance of the neck. Subsequently, it will also improve the overall balance of the face and can create the illusion of a smaller nose. As a stand-alone procedure, chin augmentation can be performed in the office under local anesthesia. For individuals with signs of aging in the neck, a chin implant added to one of the recommended procedures above, will provide optimal results.

According to your evaluation, your plastic surgeon may give you more than one option to choose from. Also, she or he can recommend non-surgical methods if you are deemed a candidate. 

Limited Neck Lift under Local Anesthesia

A photo or a proper examination would help determine the best way to treat the loose neck skin. From your description, as an Oculofacial cosmetic surgeon, I might recommend a limited neck lift may be the right choice for you to improve the appearance of your neck to reduct sagging skin and tighten the overall appearance of your neck. At my practice in New York (Manhattan / Long Island), we perform neck lift surgery under local anesthesia with light IV sedation, which is safer than general anesthesia and has a quicker recovery with less downtime. Do your research in finding a qualified cosmetic surgeon whose specialty is the face and neck area.

Options other than neck lift

It is very difficult to answer your question without seeing your pictures – you should consider posting images showing your areas of concern.  It may be that you do need a surgical face/neck lift.  As far as other options, smart lipo can sometimes tighten skin without the need for cutting skin out.

Options for loose neck skin

The reason most doctors dont want to perform these interventions is that the results are very poor.  To retain a natural look the removal of skin and new support vectors have to be spread in a natural way.  there are many options that can be comppleted under local including a full neck lift in the right patient.  Stay away from the 'mini' interventions offered mostly by para-plastic practitioners.  Find a Plastic and reconstructive surgeon that you trust and  let them guide you.  usually short cuts like ultrasound and energy based interventions just take a lot of your money and leave patients undertreated or even worse unnatural looking.  If you do want to try a noninvasive, Infrared light such as Sciton SkinTyte if carefully temperature monitored and administered by a plastic and reconstructive surgeon can be safe with noticeable effects.  This however is not even close to a replacement for surgery.

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Procedure to address excess neck skin

It's hard to say what the best method to address your concerns is without examining your neck. Your age and skin quality are important factors.

There are several methods to address loose neck skin. The most direct, which can be done with local anesthesia, is to directly excise the excess skin from the midline neck. Of course, this would leave a scar there, though, so depending on your goals and skin appearance this may not be a good option. If a loose platysma muscle is contributing to the problem then performing a platysmaplasty may be helpful. A mini-facelift may be an additional option if there is the concern that the excess skin won't redrape appropriately.