What is the Best Least Invasive Solution for Turkey Neck?

I am a 68 year active male in good health. However over the past 2-3 years I've developed a hereditary turkey neck. I cannot afford an extended recovery time and seek the best alternative solution to invasive surgery. What are my best possibilities?

Direct excision under local anesthesia is the way to go.

I have had great success with direct excision of the turkey neck under local anesthesia. Rather than performing a facelift (lower face and neck lift) to tighten the neck, the hanging tissue is removed directly under the chin. The scar that results is very acceptable cosmetically and heals in a couple weeks. There is little to no down time and essentially no pain. At your consultation, tell the doctor you are interested in a direct submentoplasty.

Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Running W-Plasty Necklift - enjanced with Fraxel laser skin resurfacing

I have had good success with a procedure called a running W-plasty necklift for a turkey gobbler deformity of the neck, seen more commonly in males. This procedure is done under local or local sedation anesthesia, and is relatively comfortable. I do treat the incision afterwards with four treatments of the Fraxel re:store laser to minimize the appearance of the vertical scar in the center of the neck.

The necklift also allows me access to the platysma neck muscles which undergo surgical tightening at the same time, which not only improves the contour of the neck , but also improves the duration of the procedure over time. I don't have any non-surgical alternatives at this time.

Edward Szachowicz, MD, PhD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Treating a turkey neck requires surgery

While many machines and procedures are advertised for treating turkey necks non-surgically, the only route to safe, predictable, appreciable, and lasting improvement is surgery, with a 1-2 week period of bruising and swelling.

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

You have only 2 choices.

A facelift will require a week off work. An excision of just the "gobbler" can be done under local anesthesia but will leave a scar, though most patients prefer this to the "gobbler". There is no "non invasive" way to do this, otherwise we would all be doing it!

Turkey neck

Hi,

Thank you for your question. Ultrasound tightening like Ultherapy is an amazing alternative for the neck! Also, Kybella is great to minimize the fat right under the chin. Botox in the neck also helps a lot. There are many options! 

Dr. M

Morgan Rabach, MD

Neck Lift Under Local Anaesthetic

Thank you for your question.  Neck Lift can be performed under local anaesthetic, giving the same longevity and results however meaning a significantly faster recovery time.  There will be no dressing or drains afterward.  This is performed as a day case, walk-in walk-out procedure with minimal bruising and downtime.  This procedure if often combined with facelift, eyelid surgery, cheek lift etc.  Please find a reputable and qualified surgeon who can assess you properly to give you a realistic idea of what outcome you can achieve. All The Best

Non-Surgical Necklift Options

If you are looking for the best non-surgical neck-tightening procedure, I would recommend Ulthera (Ultherapy). Using ultrasound technology, Ulthera uses focused ultrasound to lift and tighten loose skin over time, without any downtime. However, I do agree with the other surgeons in that nothing can quite compare with the fantastic results of a surgical necklift. Non-surgical procedures have to be repeated to maintain the look you want - which means in the end you'll likely end up spending as much as you would have on a necklift, which is longer lasting.

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Noninvasive treatment for the turkey neck

ThermiTight is a great alternative to a surgical necklift in the appropriate candidate. It can produce excellent skin tightening results that allows someone the option to avoid a surgical procedure. There is a limit to how much skin laxity can be treated with ThermiTight so you would need an evaluation to determine if this device is right for you.

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Weekend Necklift

It is possible that you may be a candidate for what is termed, "The Laser Assisted Weekend Necklift:" It is a minimally invasive procedure.

Cervicofacial Liposculpture is first employed to contour the unfavorable fatty changes seen in the face and neck as time passes by, such as the ‘Turkey neck’ and ‘double chin’.

Careful attention is then turned to tightening the neck muscles and eliminating neck bands. Finally, I employ laser technology to ‘resurface’ the underside of the neck skin, thereby ‘shrinkwrapping’ the skin of the neck restoring a youthful contour.

A consultation with a board certified facial plastic surgeon or board certified plastic surgeon will help determine which procedures will provide the best results for you.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck Lift or Combination Neck Lift

In most cases, a turkey neck deformity in a 68 year old male is a complex problem that has multiple anatomic components. The majority of patients have loose skin, excess fat and laxity of the neck muscles which are separated in the midline. For this reason, there’s no simple solution for this problem without significant tradeoffs.

In the vast majority of patients, correction of this problem requires a neck lift or a combination neck lift facelift procedure. In some cases, direct excision can be performed but this procedure may be associated with significant neck scarring.

For these reasons, significant turkey neck deformities require aggressive surgical intervention. When less aggressive procedures are utilized patients may not be satisfied with their result and visible scarring may occur.

If you’re concerned about loose saggy neck skin consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon is appropriate. This surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that will address this problem.