What is the Best Least Invasive Solution for Turkey Neck?

I am a 68 year active male in good health. However over the past 2-3 years I've developed a hereditary turkey neck. I cannot afford an extended recovery time and seek the best alternative solution to invasive surgery. What are my best possibilities?

Direct excision under local anesthesia is the way to go.

I have had great success with direct excision of the turkey neck under local anesthesia. Rather than performing a facelift (lower face and neck lift) to tighten the neck, the hanging tissue is removed directly under the chin. The scar that results is very acceptable cosmetically and heals in a couple weeks. There is little to no down time and essentially no pain. At your consultation, tell the doctor you are interested in a direct submentoplasty.

Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Last contacted 1 hour ago

Running W-Plasty Necklift - enjanced with Fraxel laser skin resurfacing

I have had good success with a procedure called a running W-plasty necklift for a turkey gobbler deformity of the neck, seen more commonly in males. This procedure is done under local or local sedation anesthesia, and is relatively comfortable. I do treat the incision afterwards with four treatments of the Fraxel re:store laser to minimize the appearance of the vertical scar in the center of the neck.

The necklift also allows me access to the platysma neck muscles which undergo surgical tightening at the same time, which not only improves the contour of the neck , but also improves the duration of the procedure over time. I don't have any non-surgical alternatives at this time.

Edward Szachowicz, MD, PhD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Last contacted 1 day ago

Treating a turkey neck requires surgery

While many machines and procedures are advertised for treating turkey necks non-surgically, the only route to safe, predictable, appreciable, and lasting improvement is surgery, with a 1-2 week period of bruising and swelling.

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Last contacted 1 day ago

Surgery is your best option

I would agree with other physicians who say there is no alternative to surgical treatment of a turkey neck. As mentioned, a direct excision may be a good option for you. This procedure often referred to as a "Grecian-Urn" neck lift or neck rejuvenation does leave a scar in the midline of the neck. This can take several months to heal but often will leave only a minimal scar once healed.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Last contacted 5 hours ago

You have only 2 choices.

A facelift will require a week off work. An excision of just the "gobbler" can be done under local anesthesia but will leave a scar, though most patients prefer this to the "gobbler". There is no "non invasive" way to do this, otherwise we would all be doing it!

Last contacted 1 day ago

Quick & Easy Solution for Turkey Neck in an Older Person

The fastest and easiest way is to cut the extra skin in the midline of the neck. It can be done under local anesthesia. It leaves a straight line like scar in the midline but it looks much better than the turkey neck deformity.

Regards

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Last contacted 56 minutes ago

Turkey neck

Hi,

Thank you for your question. Ultrasound tightening like Ultherapy is an amazing alternative for the neck! Also, Kybella is great to minimize the fat right under the chin. Botox in the neck also helps a lot. There are many options! 

Dr. M

Morgan Rabach, MD

Last contacted 22 days ago

Neck Lift Under Local Anaesthetic

Thank you for your question.  Neck Lift can be performed under local anaesthetic, giving the same longevity and results however meaning a significantly faster recovery time.  There will be no dressing or drains afterward.  This is performed as a day case, walk-in walk-out procedure with minimal bruising and downtime.  This procedure if often combined with facelift, eyelid surgery, cheek lift etc.  Please find a reputable and qualified surgeon who can assess you properly to give you a realistic idea of what outcome you can achieve. All The Best

Amir Nakhdjevani, MBBS, MRCS, FRCS (Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon

Last contacted 15 hours ago

Non-Surgical Necklift Options

If you are looking for the best non-surgical neck-tightening procedure, I would recommend Ulthera (Ultherapy). Using ultrasound technology, Ulthera uses focused ultrasound to lift and tighten loose skin over time, without any downtime. However, I do agree with the other surgeons in that nothing can quite compare with the fantastic results of a surgical necklift. Non-surgical procedures have to be repeated to maintain the look you want - which means in the end you'll likely end up spending as much as you would have on a necklift, which is longer lasting.

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Last contacted 1 hour ago

Noninvasive treatment for the turkey neck

ThermiTight is a great alternative to a surgical necklift in the appropriate candidate. It can produce excellent skin tightening results that allows someone the option to avoid a surgical procedure. There is a limit to how much skin laxity can be treated with ThermiTight so you would need an evaluation to determine if this device is right for you.

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Last contacted 48 minutes ago