How Long Does Hair Take to Fall out After Laser? Place I Use Advises Not Shaving/waxing in Between.

It has been nearly three weeks and i still have hair underarms, less but its still there. Then the technician said thats why people get it done in winter time mostly because it takes a while to have hair fall out. Because my hair grows so quickly she scheduled my second appointment 2.5 weeks after my first one. Will the treatments spread out when hair stops growing back as quickly?

Hair Growth Cycles and Laser Hair Removal Sessions

From the description of your answer from the technician, it appears that the person is giving you an answer with the sole purpose to get you back into the office as soon as they can, in order to maximize the costs to you for them.

Laser hair removal has been studied for over 20 years. We know the hair growth cycles for each area of the body and we know how many hairs are in each of the cycles we want to treat. Laser hair removal should be done at 4-6 intervals, and most of us like to bring our clients back at 4 weeks – this is easier for scheduling. So 2.5 weeks is a little too quick and I would be hesitant to continue there. Your hair will fall out if the treatments are done correctly and the energy sufficiently delivered to the hair bulb in the hair follicle.

Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

I've come across many different lasers and even the one in my office, no laser will get rid of all your hair in 3 weeks. Laser hair removal is a process over a course from 4-8 months, if not more coming in monthly. Ask what type of laser the technician is using and really do your research. Even coming in ever 2 weeks for an appointment wont do any good cause the hair grows in different follicle stages. Best of luck 

George T. Boris, MD, FRCS, FACS

Laser Hair Removal Preparation

There are many reasons for laser hair removal to be in effective from the type of hair treated to underlying hormonal issues such as Polycystic ovarian syndrome. Finer hair and lighter colored hair is more difficult to treat. In addition hormonal imbalances such as excessive testosterone can lead to continued hair growth. For laser hair removal to be effective, hair has to be dark in nature.  Blonde hair, red hair, white hair and grey haired clients are not amenable to treatments. 3-4 weeks is average for time between underarms treatments. If hairs are going to "fall out" after hair removal it usually happens within a week. You can shave in between treatments, though I wouldn't recommend tweezing, plucking or waxing or threading while you are doing the treatments.

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Hair removal protocol

Where are you going for your treatments? This information seems silly to me. Hairs grow at specific time intervals and that's why they need to be treated at specific times. 3-4 weeks is average for time between underarms treatments. If hairs are going to "fall out" after hair removal it usually happens within a week. It's not necessary though and doesn't mean anything if the hairs aren't doing this. You can shave in between treatments, though I wouldn't recommend waxing. Laser hair removal targets the hair follicle, which you can't get with shaving.

What to expect after laser hair removal

Generally, about 15% of hairs are permanently removed with each laser treatment. Often, many of the hairs are still present and appear to “grow” following treatment. These “growing” hairs are dislodged from the hair follicle and require 1-2 weeks to be completely shed. Any method of epilation can be used to hasten their removal. Since hair needs to be in the "growing phase" of its life cycle for the laser to be effective, you should wait longer than 2 1/2 weeks between treatments.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon