How long can I expect my "spitting stitches" wound to heal and what can I do to assist in the process? (Photo)

I had a revision with a lift 3 1/2 weeks ago and at 2 wks when I removed the tape I noticed I had two small "holes" on my breast on the vertical incision line. My doctor is 4 hrs away but I sent pictures and they called in antibiotics and a topical ointment which I have been on for about 8 days. They also had me trim the exposed stitch, which I did about 5 days ago. I just don't see much improvement and am worried. What else can I do? I also leave it exposed to air, clean, and dry when I can

Treating spitting sutures

Thank you for your question about your breast augmentation.

• The only 'cure' for spitting sutures is to remove the sutures.
  • Removing them will reduce the inflammation and drainage they cause.
  • Four hours is a long way but if possible, do return to see your surgeon so s/he can do it.
  • If this is impossible, call surgeons near you to see if they will see you.
  • You will need to pay a fee - your own surgeon will not charge you. (It may make that 4 hour ride seem worth the time.)

Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Spitting suture

This will heal most quickly only after the suture material is gone--I think I am still seeing some at the 2 or 3 o'clock position of the open area.  If you can grasp that with some forceps and try to cut right at the knot to get the whole suture out it will heal in a few days. Otherwise it will take as long as it takes for the suture to dissolve or fall out on its own.

All the best. 

Breast Augmentation - "spitting stitches"

I would take the time to revisit with your physician and remove those stitches that are spitting.  I would also plan a second visit a few weeks later to make sure all affected sutures are taken care of.  Best Wishes!!

Spitting sutures usually resolve in about four weeks.

Buried sutures works her way to the surface are referred to as "spitting". Keeping the areas clean is all it is necessary. They usually do not affect the long-term outcome of the scar.