Can I use ice packs an the sides and tops of my swollen breasts after a BA?

Ice and BA

I generally don't recommend ice for breast patients as the implant is so far from the skin surface it does little good nor is it helpful after the point of maximum swelling, after the first 3 days.

Discuss this with your surgeon and follow his directions!

Ice packs

Ice packs wrapped in a towel or cold compresses can be quite helpful for the first few days.  I suggest using them for my patients.  Be sure not to freeze your tissue. I would suggest asking your surgeon what he/she recommends.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Follow your Plastic Surgeon's post operative instructions.  In general, applying ice packs to the sides of breast is helpful.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Ice after a breast augmentation

We recommend that ice be used the first 24 hours after a breast augmentation to decrease swelling and pain. After that we switch to a heating pad if needed.

Julio Garcia, MD

Ice packs

These can offer relief, and decrease swelling.  However, if your breast skin is numb it can cause frostbite and resultant scarring.

This question is better asked of your own surgeon.

All the best. 

Ice packs after breast augmentation

Ice packs can provide symptomatic relief and may help swelling after breast augmentation.  However it is essential that she discuss this with the plastic surgeon who performed your breast augmentation and make certain that your plastic surgeon approves.

Yes, but be careful they are not too cold and that you don't leave them on for too long.

Follow the care recommendations by your plastic surgeon and congrats on your surgery, the swelling should generally improve day by day.

I hope this was helpful,

Dr. Daniel Barrett
Beverly Hills, CA

Daniel Barrett, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Using icepacks is ok after surgery

icepack will not cause any damage unless your skin is numb after surgery and you don't realize that the icepacks are too cold, leading to frostbite.  So be careful and consider 10 min on, 10 min off whenever using icepacks

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Ice packs after breast augmentation

Yes I usually tell my patients to lay a towel over the skin and then apply the ice packs or bag of peas to help with swelling. But please check with your plastic surgeon for specific aftercare as everybody has a different protocol.

Anh Lee, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Ice packs

Hi.  Ice is helpful during the first 48 hours after surgery.  Use the 10 minutes on, 10 minutes off rule.  Don't apply the ice directly to the skin - use a clean facecloth between the ice and your skin.