I have sagging breasts, one much larger than the other. Is fat transfer a good option?

Doctor Answers 5

When is fat transfer a reasonable option

Hi - Without a photo it's difficult to tell you. I regularly fat transfer my post-partum patients whose nipples are in the correct position but whose breasts need volume after being deflated after pregnancy.  If the skin is too stretched between the fold of the breast and the nipple, or if the nipple is just too low, then the skin will need to be reshaped before restoring volume, be it with fat or an implant.  The best course is to see a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your goals in the context of what your anatomy will allow. Be sure to ask lots of questions particularly about possible complications and the limitations of fat grafting. Best of luck to you!

Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 10 reviews


If you have a small difference between the two breasts, then a fat transfer could be a good options. If you have at least one cup or larger difference between the breasts, you may need implants. Fat transfer will also not provide a lift. I would suggest meeting with a board certified plastic surgeon and discussing all your options.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

Breast Lift

Thank you for your question. It's difficult to give recommendations without photos, but generally speaking, a breast lift is the best way to address sagging asymmetrical breasts. This procedure can be combined with fat transfer or implants in order to get the desired aesthetic. You should have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon for precise recommendations. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 96 reviews

Breast reduction for sagging and uneven breasts

The most efficient way to improve the appearance of sagging, heavy and uneven breasts is with breast reduction surgery. 

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS
Seattle Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 65 reviews

Breast Fat Transfer/ Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

Without pictures, difficult to comment.  Usually with 'ptotic' (saggy) Breasts, one would benefit from a breast lift.  A breast lift would reposition your nipples and reshape your breasts, giving them a more youthful appearance.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Best of luck!

Dr. Schwartz

Board Certified Plastic Surgeon



Jaime S. Schwartz, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 93 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.