How Long to Wait to Have Sex After Breast Augmentation?

Sex after breast augmentation? Like Porcupines!

Well there is sex, and then as Bill Clinton taught us, there is sex.   I suppose its ok to have sex very early....on the same day as surgery if you wish....but be wise about it.   This question reminds me of another question......How do porcupines have sex.......?    Answer......very carefully!   So....very carefully.   Since sex can raise the blood pressure and elevated blood pressure can increase the risk of bleeding , I suppose one should wait a week or 10 days.   But we are right back to the adage that there is sex and then there is sex.   Certainly for the first ten days keep it pretty dull!   Best of luck and be careful.

Sex after breast augmentation

Dear Jasmine, 
Most surgeons will tell you to wait at least 2 weeks.  The reason is that we don't want your blood pressure rising too much as that can lead to a blood collection around the implant called a hematoma. So you should also avoid all other activities that raise your blood pressure, like working out, or getting overly excited.  After 2 weeks, you should approach it carefully and avoid movements that can cause you or your partner to dislodge the placement of the implant for about 6 weeks.  Of course it is always best to follow the advice of your plastic surgeon as each has different protocols and reasons for them based on your case.  Best wishes. 

Luis H. Macias, MD, FACS

Sex after breast augmentation

In general, I like you to wait 2.5 weeks to get your heart rate up and sweat to avoid bleeding around the implant.  In addition, I would avoid displacing the implant for 6 weeks too.  So, with that said, use your judgement and most importantly be careful! You would hate to jeopardize a great result.  As a wise man once said, "a stitch in time saves 9."

Your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource when it comes to specific instructions in regards to returning to activities. Generally speaking, best  to limit strenuous activity for at least 2 weeks after breast   augmentation surgery, assuming you are doing well and there have been no complications.  Care should be taken during the first one to two weeks after surgery not to allow for elevation of heart rate, blood pressure, and/or direct trauma/contact to the chest wall. Again, generally speaking, most my patients are able to return to lower body exercise at the 1 to 2 week post operative mark, wait to lift/run for about 4 to 6 weeks after surgery. Swimming may have to wait a similar amount of time. Other exercises, involving the pectoralis major muscles, may resume several months down the line, if not longer. Again, address your specific questions/concerns to your plastic surgeon, who knows your situation best, and is ultimately responsible for your care. Best wishes.

Sex and Surgery

It is not recommended to raise your blood pressure or heart rate significantly for 2 weeks after surgery.  At that time, it is up to the individual when to resume sexual activity.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

Wait two weeks for sex, not matter what he says!

The increase heart rate, blood pressure and dilation of blood vessels that accompany sex or other "activities" are risky in the first two weeks after this surgery.  You don't want to endanger a great result with impatience.  

Ritu Chopra, MD

How long to avod sex after a breast augmentation

That is a difficult question to was it depends greatly on what you are going to be doing. We suggest your partner not squeezing the breast too firmly for 2-4 weeks and we advise against getting your blood pressure elevated for at least 2 weeks. We allow our patients to get back to low level cardio in 2 weeks as long as there is no bouncing and full activity at the gym after 4 weeks, so figure out what level of intensity of sex you mean compared to a gym work out and then it will be somewhere between the 2 and 4 weeks periond.

Julio Garcia, MD

Sex after breast augmentation

You will be able to resume sexual activities after three weeks or so, although you may have to wait longer if it is more physically demanding. The key is to take it slowly at first then increase in intensity. Listen to your body.

However, having said that, it's better to ask your surgeon for their advice.

SEX AFTER BREAST AUGMENTATION

This is a very practical question that many of my patients ask me.

The answer to this is quite simple - you can return to sexual activity at any stage after surgery.
However, the reality is that for the first few days at least after surgery you will be far too sore to think about that.
My general recommendations about returning to normal physical activities includes refraining from normal heavy upper body manual handing/lifting and straining for the first four weeks after surgery.

So with this in mind, you can return to sexual activity at any time, but for the first four weeks after surgery you basically need to take on a very passive role.

Also, you are advised to commence breast massaging at three weeks after surgery to help your breasts soften and settle. So this also means you and your partner can handle your breasts normally from this stage. You’ll still be a bit sore, so your body comfort levels will guide you as to what you should and shouldn’t be doing.

Eddy Dona, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

#sexafterBA

Your plastic surgeon will give you the best answer in your specific case about this and sex. For most of my patients I allow sex to begin at 6 weeks with the woman on top to minimize the risk of trauma. Here are some of the guidelines I give my patients following breast surgery: Following surgery, you will be walking in a bent-over position to keep tension off the newly tightened skin incision site. Although strenuous activity, and lifting more than twenty pounds, must be avoided for 6 weeks, some people can return to work and daily activities as soon as 2 weeks after surgery. Softening of the surgical scars, return of sensation, and improvement of shape may take several months to a year or more. Light activity is comfortable in 10-20 days. No sports or heavy lifting for 6 weeks or more – please discuss with your doctor for specific questions.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS