Abdominal Liposuction Without a Tummy Tuck?

I want to have an abdominal liposuction, but I am afraid that I might need a tummy tuck too, which I don't want to do. Does an abdomen look good after liposuction, with no need for a tummy tuck?

Lipo without Tummy Tuck

Part of that for which patients pay when they choose a surgeon is experience. Based on your surgeon's experience when he or she examines you, this question can be addressed. Surgeons may disagree on it too.

In general, liposuction removes fat but does little for the skin over it. If you are OK with being "thinner" and not "tighter," then liposuction may be for you. If you know that you want things to be "tighter," then liposuction will likely not perform well for you.

Best Regards.

Orange Plastic Surgeon

It is difficult to predict the result of liposuction, but having a big experience in doing these procedures I can suggest that you can be disappointed with the result.
In case the skin doesn't retract enough, it will hang. Then you can decide whether to have Tummy Tuck or not.
So different patients have different expectations. For some of them having just liposuction may be an option.
But the majority of women who have completed their families consider abdominoplasty, or Tummy Tuck procedure, to be done along with liposuction.

As for the pain of Tummy Tuck , it is always highly expected that the patient will have pain and swelling in the days following surgery. The situation can be managed with good painkillers.Your Surgeon will instruct you on how to best handle the pain.

Soreness may last for several weeks or months also, but nevetheless, the patients who went through TT are usually the most happy patients and think the result was worth it.

I wish you the best of luck!

Ercan Karacaoglu, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction vs Tummy Tuck

An exam is needed for the best answer. If there is significant loose redundant skin and fat you would most likely have the best result with a tummy tuck and liposuction. Liposuction alone is an option along with core exercises to increase resting tone of the abdomen for those with realistic expectation. In that case you will have a smaller waist size and look better in clothes. On the other hand it is expected that you will have loose abdominal skin afterwards.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Liposuction of abdomen can tighten skin.

Hi.

Of course it all depends on your anatomy.  But many people get enough improvement just with liposuction, which avoids the scar and recovery of a tummy tuck. The key is to do superficial liposuction (Gasparotti technique) with sub dermal tunneling, which helps to tighten the skin.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Tummy Tuck or Liposuction

It really depends on your anatomy. Determining your final results are a combination of assessing your bone structure, muscle status, fat distribution and skin laxity.

For example, if you have had children, it is most likely that your muscles are separated and the skin is loose. This type of abdomen does not respond as well to liposuction which only treats the fat.

If you have never had children, have excellent skin and muscle tone, and a stable weight but are bothered by a localized fatty deposit, then you may be a great candidate for liposuction.

Seek multiple consultations and make sure your surgeon is capable of performing a tummy tuck in order to assess your potential results. Many different specialties perform liposuction but are not capable of performing a tummy tuck and they may not be best equipped to provide you with an unbiased opinion.