When I Lay Down my Chest is Flat and Implants Fall to the Outsides - is That Normal?

Its been over a year since my BA. I still would like them larger but that's another matter. When I lay down on my back, my implants fall to the sides of my chest and upward to my armpits. Can I have unintentionally widen out the pockets? Is this fixable? Should I even be concern about this because it's the norm? Can the pockets be made smaller so they don't go where they shouldn't?

Implants Falling into the armpit

Yes, this happens to many patients.... yes, it is fixable.  The procedure is called capsulorrhaphy (internal bra) when a surgeon would go in and place permanent sutures to improve the implant placement on the patient's chest wall.  Not all surgeon's do this procedure so please check the experience of the surgeon you go to.  You may be able to increase the implant size at the same time (1 surgical procedure) but without examination, it's difficult to say.  Recovery is key for this procedure as you will need to limit arm movement and lifting for a longer period of time so that the surgical repair heals.

Breast Implant Revision

This is a good question. The implants go laterally when you lay down because the pocket has become too large over time. The implants tend to want to go out to the side when patients lay down because the chest is round and they are sliding off the chest.

The good news is that this is easily corrected. As you mention in your question the pocket can be closed with sutures on the inside so that the implant is in the proper position. I also usually encourage patients if they have saline implants to switch to silicone implants, as the softer implants tend to go out laterally less than the firm saline implants do over time.

Discuss this with your board certified plastic surgeon as you have options to improve the appearance of your breasts.

'Falling' or lateralization of implants

It is possible that overtime your breast pocket may expand allowing your implants to fall laterally.  The good news is that while it does require a procedure to correct, this lateralization of your implants is fixable!  
Performing a pocket repair would most likely be necessary and involved the placement of permanent sutures to essentially create an internal bra and close the pocket where it has loosened.  This procedure will place your implants back in the correct position and prevent this 'falling' effect when laying down.  At the same time, it is possible to increase or reduce the size of a patients implants.  I would caution you from going too much bigger as you do not want to create extra stress on the newly repaired pockets, but a physical exam would be necessary to say for certain what is and is not advisable.  
Please schedule a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon who is well-experienced in performing these pocket revision procedures.  Best of luck!

Breast implants that fall to the sides when laying down

When a naturally full breasted person lays down the breasts normally move, or "drape" to the sides. 
However, implants should not move a great deal to the sides. A small amount of movement is fine, but you describe a significant amount of unnatural movement.
Whatever the cause (and this is something that you almost certainly did NOT cause), the pocket containing the implant is far too big.
This being the case, then you will need to have surgery to internally tighten your pockets so that they are less mobile and don't slide into your armpits when you lay down. This is not a major problem and any experienced plastic surgeon should be able to sort this out for you.
Speak to your surgeon about your concerns so they can discuss the surgical details to you.

Eddy Dona, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Implants falling to the side when laying down

For your individual situation, it's best to speak with your plastic surgeon. A consultation would be necessary to determine if you would need surgical correction with more dissection of the pocket medially to enhance the cleavage region

Normal to a degree

It is natural for the breasts to move away from each other, falling to the sides. This is natural anatomy. However, if you think there is excessive movement, then you can speak to your surgeon about fixing the pockets in which the implants sit.

Ronald Levine, MD

Implants fall to the sides

Thank you for the question.  it is normal for natural breasts to fall to the sides when lying on their back.  For implants to fall to the sides, it is not uncommon and could be fixed through capsulorrhaphy.  Best to visit your board-certified plastic surgeon and have your concern assessed.  Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi.

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Surgical correction may be needed.

It’s normal for the female breast to fall laterally when patients lie on their backs. This occurs for a variety of reasons including skin laxity and the combined effects of gravity and a sloping chest wall.
It’s not normal for breast implants to fall into the arm pit following breast augmentation. When this situation occurs in the immediate post-operative period, the most likely cause is over dissection of the breast implant pocket. When this situation occurs late in the post-operative course, stretching of the implant pocket is the most likely cause.
Regardless of the cause, this type of severe lateral implant displacement requires surgical correction. In most cases, this requires a procedure known as a capsulorrhaphy. This operative procedure utilizes sutures to decrease the size of the lateral breast implant pocket and shift the implant in an inward direction. This procedure is associated with high success rates and high levels of patient satisfaction.
If you’re concerned about positional implant malposition, consultation with your plastic surgeon is appropriate. Your surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that addresses your concerns.

Implants falling laterally

This can occur from the pocket becoming larger to accommodate the weight of the implant, your muscle stretching, it can also occur if your pocket was dissected to much laterally. There are things you can do to fix that problem. You can tighten the pocket laterally so that the implant does not fall out to your sides. I would replace your implant with a form stable textured implant (gummy bear implant) to decrease the chance of this occurring again.  

Michael A. Fiorillo, MD

Implants falling to the side

When a patient without implants lies down, her breasts will shift sideways. The question is whether your implant pockets are too large and, if so,should you undergo capsulorraphy. A consultation would be necessary to evaluate whether your condition warrants further surgery. It is unlikely that you did anything to contribute to widening of the pockets.