Lumigan As an Alternative to Latisse?

How likely are doctors to prescribe Lumigan off-label for the same use as Latisse (it's cheaper)?

Latisse versus Lumigan

While these products are made by the same company, and are the exact same medication and strength, you have to have a diagnosis of Glaucoma in order to get Lumigan through your pharmacy. It would not be appropriate for any physician to "misdiagnose" you in order for you to get longer eyelashes covered by your prescription plan.

Baltimore Ophthalmologist

Latisse versus Lumigan

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Baltimore Ophthalmologist

Not much difference but it will not happen.

Yes, Lumigan for glaucoma is exactly, exactly the same medication down to the bottle. However, it is FDA approved for glaucoma, not eyelash enhancement. And doctors will not likely prescribe it off label when there is an on label option. Also, the Latisse comes with the correct applicators that were used in the trials. Finally, there would be no cost savings unless a doctor prescribed the Lumigan for a non-existent glaucoma and that will just never happen. Be happy that you can get Latisse, on label, for its approved purpose.

Jon Dishler, MD, FACS
Greenwood Village Ophthalmologist

Jon Dishler, MD, FACS
Greenwood Village Ophthalmologist

Not a good idea...

In order to get Lumigan, which is a drug for glaucoma, there will be some issues to address. First is that it's not approved for eyelash tretament by the FDA, second is that pharmacies and insurance companies will know that the script came from a non-ophthalmologist, and that the drug is liekly NOT being used for glaucoma treatment.

I doubt they will appreciate paying for their portion if insurance is used.

So I for one don't want all that hassle and will prescribe only Latisse for eyelash treatment.

Not a good idea...

Lumigan vs Latisse

While Lumigan and Latisse are the exact same medication, Lumigan is used to treat a medical condition (glaucoma) and Latisse is used cosmetically. Additionally, Latisse is packaged with applicators and is applied to the upper lash line while Lumigan is administered as a drop into the eye. It is important to apply Latisse using the applicators to minimize possible side effects. It would be fraudulent and unethical to prescribe Lumigan for cosmetic use instead of Latisse as most insurances do not cover cosmetic drugs. By registering for Brilliant Distinctions (Allergan's cosmetic consumer savings program) and purchasing Latisse from a participating provider, you can earn points to cash in on coupons towards your purchases of Latisse.

Bruce Stark, MD
West Chester Ophthalmologist

Lumigan vs Latisse

Bruce Stark, MD
West Chester Ophthalmologist

Alternatives to Latisse

Majority doctors would prescribe Lumigan for Latisse because it is not approved for lash indication.

Alternatives to Latisse

Lumigan vs Latisse

I am not sure if there is an element of fraud when prescribing lumigan to grow lashes. For example Viagra is also used for pulmonary hypertension. When it is prescribed as that medicine (different name) the insurance covers it however the same insurance may not cover it if it is for erectile dysfunction. By using it for a different reason than prescribed, it would be considered insurance fraud. I am not sure if a provider would be ok to risk their license just to get you cheaper latisse.

Chris Thiagarajah, MD
Denver Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lumigan vs Latisse

Chris Thiagarajah, MD
Denver Oculoplastic Surgeon

Latisse is a better value than Lumigan

Unless you are buying it from outside the U.S. or your insurance is covering it (which they only will if you are using it for glaucoma), Lumigan is usually MORE expensive than Latisse because it comes in a 2.5 ml bottle while Latisse is in 3 ml bottle.  The price per bottle is very similar and sometimes more for Lumigan.

Lorrie Klein, MD
Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon

Latisse is a better value than Lumigan

Lorrie Klein, MD
Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon

Latisse and Lumigan

I agree, as an ophthalmologist and cosmetic surgeon, Lumigan is meant for glaucoma patients.  Even though it is the same active ingredient (bimatoprost), unless there is a pre-existing condition of glaucoma, it is considered fraud to write it for non glaucomatous reasons.  The good news is that there is Latisse, meant for lash growth and appropriate to write for this indication.

Latisse and Lumigan