How Does IPL Hair Removal Remove Ingrown Hair?

I was told that the ingrown hair will be removed by either IPL or laser hair removal. I want to know, will IPL hair removal or laser hair removal get rid of ingrown hairs or razor bumps completely? I have a lot of very deep ingrown hairs around my bikini area, so how can IPL or laser remove them when the skin is closed? I want to know how it works. Thank you.

Lasers for Hair Removal and IPL

Hair bumps are really inflammation of the hair follicles themselves and has been treated with lasers and IPLs forever. So when this kind of question is asked and someone says this machine works and this one does not, I sometimes wonder what planet someone may be on – doc wise. The lasers for hair removal and the IPL for hair removal all work via the same mechanism of action, so if they are done correctly, they can all be used to make “hair bumps” go away. Is it permanent? If the hair removal is permanent, then this will be, but remember laser hair removal is permanent hair reduction, which means reduction over time.

The first IPL hair removal studies were over 20 years ago – which led to the FDA approval for these devices.

Go somewhere where the providers know what they are doing --- a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeons office.

Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser Hair Removal for ingrown hair

Laser Hair Removal is wonderful for ingrown hair. ILP is not great for ingrown hair or really much of anything else.
laser hair removal can target the root of the hair. The results of ingrown hair following laser hair removal are wonderful. be certain to visit a laser center in a physician office with multiple lasers so you can fine the ideal laser to provide the safest and most effective laser for your skin type.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Laser to Eliminate Ingrown Hair

The laser will penetrate all the way down the hair follicle and will destroy the cells. This will eliminate Folliculitis (Ingrown hairs)
The more treatments you will get will determine how fast they will go away. you will have less irritation and follicle will soon fall out.

"Dr.D"

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

How Laser Hair Removal Works

Hi Baran,

Here is how the laser hair removal process works:

Each hair is "fed" by a very small vein that enters the hair follicle at the base or "bulb". This bulb is the thickest and darkest part of the hair. When laser light is fired into the skin, the dark bulb of the hair follicle absorbs most of the light in the same way that a black shirt absorbs sunlight on a sunny day. This in turn heats up the bulb of the hair follicle to the point where the vein that feeds the hair becomes permanently damaged. Once this vein is closed, the hair no longer grows back.

Hope this helps clarify. Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Laser hair removal removes hair permanently so it can't grow in

Laser hair removal causes the hair follicle to shrink and the hair to fall out. If you do it enough times and at the appropriate energy level, it will shrink the follicle completely so that the hair doesn't grow back after it falls out. If there's no hair in the follicle, it can't become ingrown.

Jonathan Hoenig, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon