I Had Injections of Sculptra and Radiesse Done for the Jowls and They Are Still There? (photo)

I had injections done of sculptra and the jowl or fat pads and the extra fat at the chin just under the jaw line are still there on the side of my mouth like folds of fat..drives me nutty. I am constantly having to be photographed with my work and need them gone now! what else can I do? I realize I look great for my age I have always taken care of myself and this plastic surgery and injections are new to me. I dont want to continue to waste money

Doctor Answers 14

Review of your photo shows that you have developed a "boxey" face.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The combination of weight gain and loss of cheek support due to aging results in an appearance like that your photo shows.

The effective solution for this is:

  • A lift which includes a upward component
  • Removal of fat along the jawline to create a more angular jaw

A mini-lift or liposuction alone does not give muchhelp

Fillers do not help because you need lift and shaping.

Dr. Mayl

Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra & Radiesse for volume

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Injections of Sculptra & Radiesse are helpful if someone needs volume or lift. Alternatives to facial injections, if you have good volume, are facelift surgery, neck surgery & Ultherapy. Ultherapy, if you have good volume, is a noninvasive, minimally downtime procedure which allows for tightening and may help with jowls. The important thing to remember when treating jowls with Sculptra and Radiesse is to do it in such a way that it creates lifting and does not make the jowls worse. But Sculptra and Radiesse are not the same thing as a facelift.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 68 reviews

Facelift for Jowls

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If your primary concern is jowls, Sculptra and Radiesse are not going to be very effective .  Sculpting of the lower face and neck is best achieved with a Facelift.  There is no effective nonsurgical option.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 104 reviews

I Had Injections of Sculptra and Radiesse Done for the Jowls and They Are Still There?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Read each of the previous expert posters responses, especially Dr Aldea's. I'm going to be more direct. You were either sold on the fillers for excess skin and full jowls, sub mental areas or you decided that a filler would best alleviate your issues. Wrong either way. You need a face/neck lift of some type, period. 

Fillers for Jowel Correction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Jowling is produced by age-related facial sagging. This can be corrected by a Facelift directed at lifting the jowls or masked by placing fillers in the notches between the jowls and the chin. One procedure is not really a substitute for another.

As far as the "wasting money" part, this issue comes up all the time in our lives; Do you buy or do you rent? Do you want ANYTHING done to improve your appearance and if so, do you have a lesser, cheaper but repeatable procedure OR do you have the definitive operation, one which is more expensive, has more down time but which is the definitive procedure?  This is a personal decision each woman must make for herself.

The choice of fillers will determine the duration of the filling effect. Hyaluronic fillers (Restylane, Juvederm, Perlane) last 8-12 months or so while Radiesse lasts well over a year. While hyaluronic acid fillers can be reversed-dissolved with hyaluronidase, an enzyme, while Radiesse or Sculptra cannot be reversed and you will have to wait until they dissolve by themselves.

Peter A Aldea, MD
Memphis, TN

Peter A. Aldea, MD
Memphis Plastic Surgeon

Treatment options

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I would highly recommend that you see a board certified facial plastic surgeon for an evaluation and to discuss your treatment options.  

Sam Naficy, MD, FACS
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 231 reviews

Several options - from least to most

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Slight jowls can be camouflaged by injecting a filler such as Radiesse.just in front of the jowl, to blunt the visibility of the angle. This is fast, fairly cheap, and lasts up to a year.

Radiofrequency devices do exist that can produce a small amount of skin tightening there.

Bigger jowls generally need a bigger solution.- generally a lift. 

Christopher J. Peers, MD
South Bend Facial Plastic Surgeon

Best treatments for jowls

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

In general, Sculptra stimulates the production on new collagen.  It may help camouflage the jowls. But to effectively eliminate the appearance of jowls, a midfacelift, facelift, or liposuction are good options.  I would recommend an in-person consultation with a facial plastic surgeon, as he/she will be able to assess your needs and discuss the best treatments that will produce the most effective result for you. Thanks and good luck!

Non-Surgical Facelift with Exilis Improves Jowls

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Although a facelift or mini-facelift is your most effective option, Exilis radio-frequency is a safe and effective non-surgical skin tightening alternative that we use for those patients desiring a non-surgical alternative to a facelift.  Initially, Exilis requires 4 - 6 treatments followed by periodic maintenance treatments.

Robert Strimling, MD
Las Vegas Dermatologist
4.3 out of 5 stars 9 reviews

Fillers for Jowls

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Sorry for you. Was the person who treated you qualified to do facelifts or only injections? You know how the world can look like a nail when you have a hammer.

Personally, I have never injected a jowl. Similarly, I dont inject big noses to supposedly make them look better.

The best thing you can do is find an experienced plastic surgeon who can correct your jowls in a minifacelift procedure.

Good luck

Richard Sadove, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 32 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.