Will my Implants Appear Smaller Once Swelling Reduces?

I just got 450cc silicone breast implants under the muscle. It's only been one week since my surgery but they look HUGE.

I'm 5'6, 125 lbs. Now that I have them and they are enormous I'm afraid that maybe I went with too large of an implant. I know that they should appear smaller once the swelling has gone down and once they drop but how much smaller can they actually get?

If it's not a dramatic difference then I'm afraid that I went too large. Please tell me they will go way down. Pic attached.

Need to wait at least a month. May need to have them replaced.

Are they saline or silicone gel?  If they are saline, you need to know the final fill volume.  Was that 450 cc?  Saline implants are routinely filled over the amount printed on the implant.  You do look large, even for 450 cc implants, although I don't know what size you were to start with.

Regardless, you need to wait a month, minimum.  The implants will settle and not look as big.  It takes about a month for the swelling to do down.  Frequently I have had patients who are worried that they are too big at one week, but at one month, they are just fine and like the size.

Obviously, there is a cost in changing out your implants to a smaller size.  Most surgeons give a modest discount for doing this.  But it's very unusual.  I've had only one patient elect to have her implants replaced with a smaller size in the last 5 years, and the average implant size in my practice is 400cc.  Almost all patients who change size seem to go bigger.

Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Do breasts look the same after dropping?

Two things happen and seem paradoxical. As as the swelling goes down there will be some shrinkage but at the same time as the muscle relaxes your breast projection grows. In general the breast shape and size proportionality improves..

Breast implants initially after surgery when placed in a submuscular position often give superior fullness that corrects itself with time, the "fluff and drop" phenomena. In reality the pectoralis major muscle takes a while to adjust its size to accommodate the implant as well as occasional muscle spasm which keeps the implant projection higher than its final resting shape. Additional variables include:laxity of skin, size difference during prior pregnancies, position of implant,size of muscle, and size of implant.
As the muscle relaxes the projection of the implant often increases and the breast shape improves. Massage and use of a superior placed elastic strap can often make this process go faster.

Swelling After Augmentation

After your #breast #augmentation surgery, the final shape and size is approximated after 2 to 3 months, but up to one year may be required for the end result. You must have patience, but if this causes concern, ask questions of your #boardcertified plastic surgeon or the nursing staff.

Residual Swelling May Last 3-4 Months

Patients undergoing breast augmentation can anticipate significant swelling in the immediate postoperative period.This swelling resolves quickly, with the vast majority being gone in about three weeks.Almost all of the visible swelling is gone in about four to six weeks, but small amounts of residual swelling may be present for up to three to four months following surgery.
Compression bras and dressings are frequently used following breast augmentation to minimize swelling.Swelling can add to a patient’s postoperative discomfort.It can also be the source of anxiety regarding breast size in the immediate postoperative period.
It’s not unusual for patients to express concern about breast size following breast augmentation surgery.In some cases, swelling can be significant and make the breasts look much larger than they will ultimately end up.As swelling resolves, patients rapidly adjust to their new breast size and the majority are ultimately happy with their size.
For these reasons, we feel it’s important for the patient and the surgeon to have good communication following surgery.In this situation, a little reassurance can go a long way towards making this a more comfortable experience.Be patient, it’s far too early to be concerned about revisional surgery.There’s a good chance that you will end up happy with your breast size.

Swelling

Thanks for the question, I find implants look about 30% larger the first month than they will ultimately end up so fear not

Swelling Can Make Your Breasts Look Bigger

It is difficult to say by how much your breasts will appear smaller, as swelling can make your results look larger than they should. However as swelling subsides and your breasts drop, they'll certainly look more natural. It typically takes about 3 to 4 months until your breasts settle. By that time the bottom portion of your breasts will fill out becoming more natural in appearance. This phenomenon is called drop and fluff.

Large breast implants and swelling

Your post op result looks normal for 1 week. Swelling following a breast enlargement is normal and will last from a few weeks to a few months. There is not much you can do to make it go down any faster. I am sure that once the swelling resolves, you will be happy with your size. If you still think you are too big, wait 3-6 months for complete healing and final position before deciding to have another surgery.

Breast Size after Breast Augmentation?

At your stage recovery is very common for patients to be concerned about their results (being too big or too small).  Often after a period of 3 to 6 months those same patients are quite pleased with the results of their surgery.

For patients planning on breast augmentation surgery...it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

Breast Implants Will Look Smaller Over Time

Dear sunshine42-

Your breast implants will look smaller over time.  You just had surgery 1 week ago, so it will take several weeks for most of the swelling and healing to occur.  It takes about 6-12 months for all of the healing to occur and for all of your breast tissue, skin, and muscle to have settled down.  I would recommend talking to your plastic surgeon about things you can do to reduce swelling, such as chest elevation, ice, homeopathic medications, and other remedies.

Best Wishes,

Roy Kim, MD

Roy Kim, MD

Greetings. You are going to see the difference just after the procedure. However it is necessary to wait for some time in order to see the final result. After the breast augmentation operation the recovery period depends on your physical status, age, general health and condition mainly. The operation itself does not take too long therefore you receive a mild anesthesia. Since the anesthesia that you receive is mild; you will not have problems associated with anesthetic agents after the operation. This is especially important and can be achieved with only a team of plastic surgeons like we have. After the operation you will be advised to wear a corset in order to reduce the edema. You can start to do your daily activities just after the operations but we do not advise you heavy lifting, running or activities that require excess physical activity. The more you rest, the faster your recovery will be.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon