How Much Weight Can Safely Be Lost with Smart Lipo?

I have researched SmartLipo and I truly want to do this. I have lost and kept off 60lbs for over 5 years and even had a baby during this time. I am a size 14, 5ft1 and I am just stuck (and have been for a long time) and ready for a change. My problem areas are my double chin, back flanks and upper thighs.

I am just curious how much reduction is safely possible. Can anyone advise?

Liposuction isn't for weight loss and never will be.

Liposuction rarely results in any weight loss unfortunately. The fat that is contained in the body is actually very light (sort of like feathers), but takes up a bit of space. Usually, even a 2 to 3 liter liposuction won't result in more than a pound of weight loss.

It sounds like you need more than this and may even want to consider bariatric surgery. While this won't usually do anything for 'loose skin', it has a track record of weight loss. Good luck.

Omaha Dermatologic Surgeon

Last contacted 6 hours ago

Liposuction is for contouring not for weight loss

The proper application of liposuction is to treat areas of your body where focal excess fatty deposits exist despite all your best efforts at diet and exercise. In general, the happiest patient is one who can point with one finger at the specific areas of interest and the least satisfied patient is the one who wants an "all over" kind of result or is expecting specific inches or pounds to come off.

It may well be that at your height, with a 60 lb weight loss, you have enough extra skin that no liposuction (Smart or traditional) will work well since liposuction results are dependent on your skin's ability to shrink. Smart lipo has never been proven to result in better skin shrinkage so don't allow marketing claims to fool you into the wrong procedure.

You might want to go to a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who can do all of the procedures and find our what might be the best plan of action for your own unique case.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Last contacted 2 days ago

Liposuction is generally not for weight loss

Liposuction procedures are designed to sculpt and reduce areas of unwanted fat that don't go away with diet and exercise. When used in this setting, liposuction with or without laser lipolysis is highly effective. It is not meant to be a weight loss procedure.

Many physicians have limits on how much fat they will remove at one time. There are various guidelines that suggest safe fat removal limits based on a patient's body weight. Mega volumes of fat removal are controversial- some say that 5,000 ml of fat is the limit of safety (reference: http://cosmeticsurgery.org/surgeons/2006_liposuction_guidelines.pdf).

Brett S. Kotlus, MD, MS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Last contacted 6 hours ago

Weight loss with liposuction

It's a common question that is asked regarding weight loss after lipo.  The correct answer is that weight may not change much- but your body contour will! 

Fat is among the least heavy of body tissues and so the actual weight change may not be dramatic after liposuction.  However in proper hands, with proper removal of fat, your body contour can change dramatically and be much more pleasant.  I would concentrate on the aesthetic appearance much more than the weight you may (or may not) lose.

Hope that helps.

Reza Tirgari, MD
San Diego Physician

Last contacted 2,017 years ago

SmartLipo vs Weight Loss

While SmartLipo, or any liposuction, will remove fat, it is not generally likened to weight loss. It will however result in removal of those stubborn fat in the areas you have mentioned. Typically, anywhere from 3-5 liters can be removed. Keep in mind that any liposuction is done for body contouring, not for weight loss. That being said, I've often performed SmartLipo on patients who are "stuck" like yourselves, then get great results, and then they seem to be more motivated to work on their weight loss themselves. 

Emerico Csepanyi, MD
Newport Beach Physician

Last contacted 9 days ago

Trust experience

An experienced cosmetic surgeon will be able to answer your question considering how much can be safely removed and what you'll look like afterward. It's not about the scale. It's about the mirror! Often a stellar result in appearance will result in little or no weight loss. 

Robert W. Benson, MD
Hammond Dermatologic Surgeon

Last contacted 1 month ago

Liposuction and fat removal in Los Angeles

Expert liposuction surgeons tend to use liposuction to reduce body disproportion rather than as a weight loss tool. The goal of lipo is to improve body contour.

Best.

Dr. Karamanoukian

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Last contacted 2 hours ago

Not to lose weight

Liposuction is for spot reduction, not for weight loss. Although you won't see a big difference in how much you lose, you will see the areas that you got treated reduce in circumference. So, after you get your surgery, don't look at the scale. Instead, look in the mirror to see if you like what you see.

Michael Constantin Gartner, DO
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Last contacted 3 hours ago

Not a method of weight loss

You should reach your ideal stable weight first before proceeding with any cosmetic surgical body contouring procedure. Being within a normal BMI range dramatically improves your surgical outcome and is safer for you as well. Smartlipo is not a form of weight loss. It is only for localized fat deposits that you weren't able to get rid of through exercise and diet alone.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Last contacted 3 hours ago

No Weight Loss with SmartLipo

You can expect minimal to NO weight loss from the SmartLipo procedure. You will however notice a difference in the way your clothing fits, as well as an overall contour to your body shape.

David L. Robbins, MD, FACS
West Des Moines Plastic Surgeon

Last contacted 1 month ago