I Have High Cheek Bones but Underneath Them is Hollow What's the Best Treatment?

what's best, permanent treatment to make underneath my high cheekbones look fuller?

Doctor Answers 6

I Have High Cheek Bones but Underneath Them is Hollow What's the Best Treatment?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

 This depends on wheteher you're a man or a woman as aesthetically the cheek shape differs in each.  High cheek bones in a man is an angular trait and as such aesthetically appropriate.  If you have an indentation below the cheeks, in this scenario, Sculptra or Perlane would fill in that area making it flush with the surrounding tissues, of the face.

 However, if you're a woman, high cheek bones once again add abgularity to the face making it appear elongated and relatively masculine.  In this scenario, the anterior section, of the cheeks, should be filled in using either Cheek Implants or Perlane for facial shaping and contouring.  Be sure that the plastic and cosmetic surgeon, you select, understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial beauty for the creation of a naturally, more attractive face.

Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

Hollow Cheeks

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The loss of soft tissue volume with aging occurs in a predictable pattern in most patients. Most people experience some deflation of the cheek fat pad in their thirties, and lip volume may also begin to thin around this time. Nasolabial folds begin to deepen. In their forties most people experience some loss of fatty fullness in the temples and along the jawline, particularly in the area just lateral to the chin. All of these areas are effectively 'reinflated' and thus rejuvenated by means of structural fat grafting. In many cases patients in their thirties and forties can be treated by fat grafting only, and do not require any incisional surgical procedure to remove or 'tighten' skin.


Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 123 reviews

Cheek implants for permanent cheek hollow filling.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

While filliing your hollow area with fillers or better yet fat might work well you can also go with submalar implants.  They are placed though the gum line under the lip with small incisions and if you do not like them, they are easily removed.  The other options would be sculptra which is injected in a few sessions and could last up to 2 years and finally I would consider fat transfer, injecting your own fat into the area.  These options would soften your cheek line up.

Robert Schwarcz, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 23 reviews

Cheek treatments

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If you have high cheek bones and hollow areas lower underneath, can consider Radiesse or Sculptra treatments, or even Perlane can be used for augmentation.

Anatoli Freiman, MD
Toronto Dermatologist

Submalar implants for depression below cheeks.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
These submalar implants give a permanent solution to the problem. See an experienced surgeon who has done many for the best results.

Toby Mayer, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 38 reviews

Best Treatment for Hollow Cheeks

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Cheek implants are permanent but longer lasting fillers such as Radiesse have many advantages over implants. One obvious advantage is that surgery is not required. Another is that you can get either a rapid or a gradual correction depending upon how many syringes you have injected and you can decide as you go exactly how much correction looks good. Also, as your face ages it changes over the years. Touch up treatments are constantly being modified to fit the changing face.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.