Hair Transplant Scarring/bumpiness on Recipient Area?

I had a hair translant done on my moustache/goatee region. Now at 4 months after I shave recipient area (goatee/moustache) I see some dots, like goosebumps and also mild pigmentation along all the area. Also, if I contract my skin (like the chin area) there is slight formation of depression. I want to know if this is normal and will it heal 100% like my surrounding skin or I'll have to live/compromise with this situation forever? Thanks in advance and please refer to the photos attached.

Recipient area problems

You reported that your skin is not smooth where you had your grafts placed. There are many reasons for this which are technical, but these may or may not apply to your surgery. Pitting or cobblestonning is the result of grafts that are not placed at skin level so if they are placed too deep, they pit, if they are slightly elevated they look like cobblestonning skin. If you can see the grafts, even if they are flush with the surrounding scalp, then the skin disc of the grafts were not removed. When this happens, the skin disc becomes hypo pigmented and takes on a whitish appearance. I always trim off almost all of the skin from each graft at the time of the surgery. These can be almost impossible to fix, but good camouflage with scalp micropigmentation does hide these very subtle deformities, if that is what you have.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Scarring after surgery can be normal

Scarring after surgery can be normal and it may subside over time.  If you are concerned about your healing progress, please follow up with your doctor.  Normally recipeint sites sould not have a noticeable scar.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair Transplants and Pigmentation Changes

After a hair transplant, some hypo- or hyperpigmentation may occur at the recipient areas, as well as tiny, circular scars that usually are usually not cosmetically visible. A lot of these issues would resolve on their own with time. Give it at least 18 months after surgery. Revisit if the problem is still there at that time.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Scarring after hair transplantation to your facial area

The pictures did not come through.  Your best bet is to go back to your hair transplantation surgeon and show him or her your scars and concerns.  It takes about 12 months for a scar to mature.  Therefore, there is plenty of time for your scars to settle and improve.  This evaluation needs to be done in-person rather than over the phone or internet. Best of luck to you. 

Allan J. Parungao, MD