Gummy Bear Breast Implants vs Saline or Silicone?

What are gummy bear breast implants? Are they better than silicone breast implants or saline implants?

"Gummy bear" vs "regular" silicone gel vs saline

There is no "best" breast implant.  However, there are clear advantages and disadvantages to each.  Let's start with silicone gel vs. saline.

Advantages of silicone gel

1. More natural feel than saline
  2. Reduced rippling relative to saline
  3. Longer implant lifespan (on average)

Advantages of saline

1. Smaller incision (3 cm vs about 5 cm)
  2. Smaller cost ($5450 total vs $6750 total with silicone gel)
  3. Smaller risk of capsular contracture (excessive firmness of the implants due to scar tissue)
  4. No concern regarding safety of deflated implants (vs. postoperative MRI surveillance recommended by FDA for silicone gel)

Silicone gel is the more natural feeling, less ripply implant.  But you can't argue with the cost or safety of saline.

Now let's look at "gummy bear" vs "regular" silicone gel.  The difference is simply the level of cohesion of the implants.  Regular silicone gel implants are cohesive (meaning that the silicone gel molecules stick together, unlike the molecules of salt water).  Gummy bear implants are highly cohesive (meaning that the silicone gel molecules stick together even more than in regular silicone gel).

Advantages of "regular" silicone gel

1. Potentially smaller incision than "gummy bear" implants.

2. Lower cost than "gummy bear" implants.

Advantages of "gummy bear" silicone gel

1. Reduced rippling relative to regular silicone gel.  This makes very little difference in a primary (first-time) augmentation but is quite useful for secondary (redo) augmentations if the breast tissues are stretched out and thin.
  2. Reduced spread of silicone gel if the implant ruptures.  We have an ongoing "experiment" in which I took an Exacto knife to a gummy bear and a regular silicone gel implant about three years ago.  The regular silicone gel implant has spilled silicone up to an inch away.  The gummy bear silicone has barely moved.

Just remember that you can get a good or bad result with any type of implant.  Choose your surgeon first, and then the two of you can work together to choose the best implant for your anatomy and desires.

Plano Plastic Surgeon

Gummy Bear Breast Implants as Compared to Silicone Gel or Saline Breast Implants

The answer to this question has
changed over the last couple of years especially as breast implant technology
has changed recently.

Let’s start by defining each
implant.

1. Saline breast implants are a
silicone shell that is filled with saline at the time of surgery so they can be
placed through very small incisions.  However, they are prone to leaking the saline and as a result you can
end up with a flat breast that requires implant placement.  These implants are also prone to a wavy look
also known as ripples.

2. Silicone gel filled implants are 4th
generation implants that are a shell that is prefilled with a silicone
gel.  This gel is moderately cohesive or
like a really thick glue or like a soft jelly.  They require a little bigger incision, and have some ripple
problems.

3. The gummy bear implants are the
newest implant available.  They are the
so called 5th generation implants and are called highly cohesive
implants because when you cut them they maintain their shape just like a gummy
bear candy.  They also have a shell that
is usually textured to reduce scarring or capsule contracture around your
implant.  This is a problem that can
cause hardening of your implants and is the number one long term problem with
breast implants.

There are almost as many opinions as
to which is the best implant but recent articles in the plastic surgery
literature suggest that the Sientra gummy bear implants have the lowest rupture
rate, and the toughest shell.  They also
have the very best warrantee.

The women I have spoken with, who
have had both saline and silicone, all of them swear that the silicone feels much
better.  I can tell you that the gummy
bear implants look and feel much better as well.

I hope that helps.

Beat regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Silicone, Saline & Gummy Bear Implants - The Differences

The type of breast implant used is one of the most important decisions facing patients undergoing breast augmentation surgery. Recently, cohesive gel implants have been introduced as an alternative to silicone and saline implants. These implants which are also known as gummy bear implants have a higher density silicone gel with a greater number of cross links. The implants are shaped and texturized to maintain their position.

These implants have several advantages and are especially helpful in women with small breasts. Under these circumstances they are less likely to have ripples or develop capsular contractures. They are associated with a natural shape and high patient satisfaction rates. When these implants rupture, the silicone doesn’t migrate into the surrounding tissue because of the gels thickness.

Although gummy bear implants have several advantages they also have disadvantages, these include firmness and the maintenance of the same shape regardless of the patient’s positioning. In addition, these implants can rotate which causes malposition of the implant and distortion of the breast.

It’s important to realize that each patient has specific anatomic findings and unique aesthetic goals that effect the choice of implant. For this reason it’s important to discuss this decision with a  board-certified plastic surgeon. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Gummy bear breast implants

Gummy bear breast implants are filled with silicone that is more cohesive than the currently FDA approved silicone breast implants. Silicone can be any consistency from similar to water to a solid. The consistency is varied by changing how many cross-links are between the silicone molecules. The gummy bear implants have 3% more cross-linking. The FDA approved silicone gel implants have a silicone consistency similiar to honey, it also very tacky like taffy. This type of silicone flows in the implant; that is, if the implant is placed in a different position, the silicone will flow to the most dependent area of the implant, pulled by gravity. The top of the implant will lose volume and "collapse"; there is rippling.

The gummy bear silicone implants are called "form stable" because the silicone does not flow, the shape of the implant remains the same despite changing its position; gravity has no effect on the silicone. Because of this, the top of the implant does not "collapse" and there is very little, if any, rippling. It also has much lower leak rates compared to silicone gel implants according to the data accumulated so far.

There are other differences -- the gels are round, the gummy bear is anatomic shape, etc. The implants are available through plastic surgeons that are participating in the FDA approved study. If you have additional questions about this type of implant, please feel free to call my office. You can find other plastic surgeons who are participating in the study by contacting Allergan. Mentor also has a form stable silicone implant. Hope this helps.

Tracy Pfeifer, MD

​ Gummy Bear Vs. Saline Vs. Silicone: The Essentials For Decision Making

You can read other answers for the fine details about all the differences between these three implants. Here, I’ve tried to help you by showing the decision making process, and how it takes you to one of these three implant choices. It works like a flowchart.

(FYI: “Teardrop,” “anatomic,” and “gummy bear implants” are all synonymous, they mean the same thing. Traditional silicone and saline implants are round.)

The most important thing is your personal beauty goals. All choices can give you a natural, beautiful look. Are you looking for a moderate or significant increase to your breast size? How much importance do you place on a proportionate over a “fuller” look?

A woman who wants a fuller look will probably go with round over teardrop shaped. A woman who wants a modest increase, and, stresses “natural and proportionate”, will probably like the anatomic implant better because it is more shaped like a woman’s breast.

If you choose anatomic, you are done. If you like the round implant more, then you get the question of saline or silicone. If money is not an issue, you will probably go with silicone because it has lower chances of a complication known as rippling.

If you are concerned about money, saline comes into consideration. Then the question becomes, do you have significant risk factors for rippling?

The less soft tissue that you have covering the implant, the more likely it is that it will be visible through your skin. Therefore, risk factors for rippling related to coverage of the implant are: low body mass index BMI (how thin you are), less breast tissue, and placing the implant over the muscle. (Many doctors now only place implants below the muscle for many reasons, eliminating this factor.) So if a patient is very thin and has little breast tissue, I would encourage silicone implants. If she has sufficient tissue to cover the implant, saline remains a viable option for her.

I hope that answers your question on gummy bear implants. It’s great that you’re doing this research. I always say that the best patients are informed patients.

You might also want to research your options for breast implants. Choosing the right implant is the number one concern among women considering breast augmentation. Did you know, there’s actually a way to select a implant shape, size, and profile that is perfect for you?

A term that I use with my patients for the perfect implant is the “Pony Implant”.

So what do I mean by “perfect”? Well, a Pony Implant has three qualities to it. First, the implant meets your beauty goals. For example, you want to your breasts to look fuller while still appearing natural.

Second, when you chose your Pony Implant, you walk out of your consultation 100% confident that you’ve chosen the right shape and size for you. In other words, you won’t be second guessing your decision, and you won’t be afraid of having gone too big or too small.

And third, after your procedure, you are thrilled with your results, and say, "I’m so happy. This is exactly what I wanted!"

That’s the Pony Implant. And the great news is that there is a simple process to go about finding yours.

This issue of selecting the right implant is so important when it comes to patient satisfaction or dissatisfaction that, again, I really encourage you to learn more about it.

Thank you for reading and best of luck on your journey!

William Rahal, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Gummy bear implants?

Your question is not easy to answer without an examination or photographs. There is certainly not once size or type of implant fits all. Some women are more appropriate candidates for smooth walled implant while other are better candidates for textured shaped anatomic implants. It you have sufficient soft tissue to cover the implant and you have a normal distance from the inframammary crease to the nipple then a smooth walled gel implant will be fine. But if you have a short distance from the nipple to the crease, in the 3 to 5 cm range and the only shape of the breast is the implant then a round implant will look round and not as natural as an anatomic implant. In some individuals I believe that the shaped textured implants will prevent complications such as a double bubble or bottoming out and malposition because the texturing helps the implant stay where you want it. The dissection for a shaped device is much more meticulous than with a round device since a shaped implant must fit in like a hand going in a glove. I use both smooth and textured implants. The procedure must be individualized and your plastic surgeon should have experience using both types so that you can get the optimal result. I find one of the biggest differences between a smooth implant and a shaped implant is that with a shaped implant the implant shapes the breast and not the other way around. Educate yourself about both types and make the best decision with the help of your plastic surgeon.

Gummy Bear implants

"Gummy Bear" implants are silicone implants that have two particular features:

1) They are firmer and retain their form more so than the normal cohesive gel implants

2) They can be manufactured in a shaped form so that the implant itself has a more full lower pole, and a tapered upper portion, much like the natural breast.

These implants have their proponents, and currently are only available from physicians who participate in studies to examine their use. I personally do not use these implants, because I don't like having a shaped implant behind the breast tissue. These implants look LESS natural when patients are not in an upright position, because they don't move and flow with the normal breast tissue naturally.

Additionally, if the implant shifts, the shape of the implant may not be correctly positioned, and the most protruding part of the implant may end up in an area of the breast that should not have significant protrusion. I have personally seen this problem with shaped implants more than once when I have been asked to revise previous breast augmentations in patients who have received shaped implants, and so i do not recommend them.

Current "cohesive gel" implants are softer and more natural feeling, and particularly when they are smooth walled (as are the ones I use), they can naturally move around much like normal breast tissue would. MRI examinations of current round breast implants have shown that they achieve a teardrop shape once placed in the breast and in the upright position, but return to a round shape in the reclining position--this is just what should happen!

It is more likely that these "gummy bear" implants will have more use in breast reconstruction, where the goals of the operation, as well as the method of the operation, are significantly different than in breast augmentation.

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Gummy Bear Implants Are a Special Kind of Silicone

Thanks for your question. "Gummy bear" implants are silicone, just a newer version. Instead of liquid silicone, they're filled with highly cohesive silicone gel, which most people agree feels and looks much more natural than saline implants. They're called gummy bear implants because the filling behaves the same way gummy candy does. Imagine biting a gummy bear in half. It doesn't leak or lose its shape. Gummy bear implants hold their shape the same way (although damage is unlikely). Keep in mind that each woman is different, and there is no universally superior implant. Saline may be a better option for you based on your individual needs. I recommend seeing a board-certified plastic surgeon for a consultation to learn more.

H. Daniel Zegzula, MD

Gummy bear vs. silicone implants.

Gummy bear implants are comprised of a highly cohesive silicone gel, which means they are designed to be form stable and are able to hold their shape even better than regular silicone implants. Unlike other implants that are round in shape, gummy bear implants have an anatomical shape. When compared with regular silicone implants, gummy bear breast implants are less likely to rupture or develop early capsular contracture. Because of their specific properties and teardrop shape, gummy bear implants offer distinct advantages, but may not be the right implant for every woman. A board-certified plastic surgeon can help you decide which implant type of is best for you depending on your anatomy and aesthetic preferences.

Frank Campanile, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Gummy bear implants

Gummy bear implants are the latest generation of cohesive gel implants. These implants have a higher gel density making them more firm than the standard silicone implants. The gel inside both types of silicone implants is thick and cannot leak into the body, however gummy bear implants are thicker than standard silicone implants.

Although there is a possible safety advantage, this can also be a disadvantage to patients because the breasts tend to look and feel less natural due to the implants holding their shape better. The implant will fall less naturally in the pocket of the breast, similar to issues found with tear drop implants. These implants are still unavailable for widespread use and are still under strict testing guidelines, but are expected to become more prominent in the market after receiving FDA approval.

Tarick K. Smiley, MD