Two months post op breast augmentation. Left breast is still high and nipple is smaller than the right. (Photo)

I just hit exactly two months post op. I have 350cc silicone underneath the muscle. I've always noticed that the left breast is taking longer to drop than the right but just today, it seems like the right nipple is getting bigger than the left. Also when i stretch, the incision line on the left downs seem to "lift" like the right. It is also still hard and hurts. I've been massaging frequently but they end up feeling stiff still afterwards. Is this normal? What can I do to soften the scar.

Two months post op breast augmentation. Left breast is still high and nipple is smaller than the right.

Thank you for your question. Your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, advice, predictions, and/or meaningful reassurance.

Generally speaking, breast implants will "drop" into the pocket that was created during surgery and massaging the implants downward may assist in the dropping of the implants after surgery (for those patients who want to help with the settling of the implants). The rate of breast implant "settling" may depend on factors such as size of breast implant pocket dissected, tightness of the overlying skin/muscle layers, and size of breast implant utilized. Normally, it takes about 3-6 months (for some patients longer) to see the final result. It is very common for one side to settle faster than the other.

Sometimes, one or both breasts implants do not settle as planned and revisionary breast surgery becomes necessary to improve the outcome. On other occasions, if the long-term breast asymmetry is mild ( understanding that absolute symmetry is very rarely achieved), patients will need to decide whether proceeding with revisionary breast surgery is worth the potential downsides associated with additional surgery.

Again, best to follow your plastic surgeon for more specifics. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with long-term.

Continue to follow up with your surgeon and follow all postoperative instructions to help with scarring and lower the chance of developing capsular contracture. As stated by many, your breast will change for several more months and do it at different rates.

Breasts Uneven 2 Months Post Breast Aug.......

I assume you took these pics in a mirror.  It appears the your right breast implant is too high.    This appears to be due to asymmetry of your infra-mammary fold.  Your right crease is higher than your left.   This may improve with massage and constant wearing of a compression Bandeau strap, or might require surgical lowering of the crease.   Talk with your surgeon about your concerns!

Uneven breast implant drop

It is common for one implant to drop before another. Let me reassure you.
You need to give it a couple more months. Try increased massage to the right breast implant to help it catch up to the left side.

Still early

Being two months you still have quite some time before you'll have stopped descending completely. A lot of people have similar issues and find one day the offending side just drops. Obviously there are also people for whom it never does, but this is a very small group and I would maintain hope unless it hasnt improved at all by 6 months.

Any differences in your nipples, etc...should be similar to how they were before, but the implants do put the nipples on a bit of stretch compared to before, so this can bring out differences that may not have been obvious.

For the incision, I would advise light massage to help with the softening, but really it all comes down to time. At 6 months they start to really ease up and by a year they are usually doing great.

I would keep in contact with your surgeon and let them know of your concerns and formulate a plan together. Best Wishes.

Zach Barnes, MD
Bakersfield Physician

It has only been 2 months since your breast augmentation surgery. It is still too early to be worried about your final results. Implants will "settle" at different rates. And, it may take as little as a couple of months to a year to settle. Continue to follow your plastic surgeon's instructions. Hopefully, your left breast will settle and catch up to your right breast soon. Thank you for sharing your photos and questions. Best wishes.

Gregory Park, MD

2 months post-op is still early to make any final judgments about things like uneven nipples

At 2 months after surgery, your tissues are still loosening up and accommodating to the implants.  This sometimes takes 4 months or longer.  During this time the implants may settle differently.  There also may have been some subtle, or even obvious, differences between the breasts prior to surgery, and if that is the case, these differences often exist after surgery and may even be more pronounced.  Also, the type of implants you have and the way in which your surgeon made the pockets may have some bearing on this current appearance as well as how things will play out over the next few months.  Part of the difference in nipple position that you see, if not most of it, has to do with the fact that your implants are sitting at different heights.  Give it some more time, ask your surgeon about things you can do during this time like scar or implant massage, compression straps, and pectoralis stretching exercises, and if things don't improve within a reasonable time frame, you may wish to have one or both of your implants adjusted slightly to better suit your needs.  Good luck.

Implants too high

You are early in your recovery phase.  I recommend that you follow up with your plastic surgeon.  Your implants will adjust and drop up to 6-9 months. Best of luck. 

Recovery after Breast Implants | One implant can drop faster than the other

You are still very early in the recovery phase.  Breast Implants can drop for up to six months.

To be sure, return to your surgeon for all of your follow up appointments and follow all of your instructions.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Early after breast augmentation

Dear Caitlin,

It is early after your breast augmentation procedure so additional changes will be seen with time.  It may be that your pocket in that side is under released.  This may soften and improve with time.  At some point if it does not a pocket revision may be needed.  Capsule contracture may also be an issue but it is also too early to tell.  Give it time since it is early at this point.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD