I'm 24 yrs old, How Many Grafts Do I Need to Cover Bald Areas? (photo)

Age : 24 Hais loss : since 18 years old. Hair color : blonde and fine My father isnt bald.One of my 3 brothers is half bald. (keeps all hair in back) Heavy thinnig happened on temples and top areas of my scalp.My hairloss %70 %80 stopped except for right temple.I didnt use any medicines and dont want to use because I want permanent solution to my problem. How many grafts do I need to cover bald areas? I want dense packing if I have enough donor hair.Please help me. Thanks in advance.

How many grafts

Based on the pictures from the top, I would presume you could eventually be a class 6 baldness. If you were to start hair transplants at this relatively early age, planning should take this into account. If you had 2000-3000 grafts now, they should be done in such a pattern that will not make you look unnatural as you lose more hair. You should have at least another 4000 grafts in reserve for the future. 

San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

How Many Grafts for Hair Transplant

Thanks for the thorough and detailed information you provided. It looks like approximately 3,000 grafts would be enough to provide you with the hairline and density you desire. However, this would need to be ultimately determined through an in-office consultation. Also, considering you wear a buzz cut and need hairline work, I recommend using FUE hair transplant. FUE produces the least amount of scarring and is an excellent procedure for creating soft, natural-looking hairlines through the use of nape hair. Best of luck to you.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Hair Transplant

1500-2000 grafts to start (as an estimate).  However you want to consider several factors:

1. Size/type of grafts
  2. Harvesting procedure type i.e strip vs FUE
  3. Graft placement
  4. Background of the physician i.e are they trained in aesthetics/cosmetics as a Dermatologist or Plastic surgeon would be. 

Due to your age and potential extent of hair loss, these factors can be critical. 

Rashid M. Rashid, PhD, MD
Houston Dermatologist

I'm 24 yrs old, How Many Grafts Do I Need to Cover Bald Areas?

Thank you for your question. 3000 to 3500 grafts

Organic Hair Transplantation” is a hair transplantation procedure developed in the Estetik International Laboratories. The “Organic Hair Transplantation” method is a novel development in modern hair transplantation surgery practice which was developed with the efforts of our research and development department. Now; our successful hair transplantation results has evolved to a new era thanks to the “Organic Hair Transplantation” method. We can consider this new method as a revolutionary development.

“Organic Hair Transplantation” is based on injection of a mixture containing adipose derived stem cells obtained from own fat tissue of the patient to the scalp of the patient. The recipient area gets rejuvenated and the viability of transplanted grafts is increased with the effects of adipose derived stem cell injection. The injection of adipose derived stem cells also provides a better work area for the surgeon.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for posting your question and photos. From the looks of the pictures it looks like you can use anywhere from 2500 to 3000 fue grafts. If you want to dense pack, considering there are no hairs in between, you can probably go a bit higher on the count as well. Hope this helps. You may also want to consider PRP to hold on to what you have longer. 

Matt Tahsini, MD
Pasadena Hair Restoration Surgeon

24 and balding

You are a reasonable transplant candidate but your negative approach to using drugs like Propecia (finasteride) might hurt you if you have a transplant without this drug on board. Shock loss is common and that means that there can be an acceleration of your hair loss with a transplant

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

If you keep your hair as short as you on the photo, surgery will not help

If you keep your hair as short as you on the photo, surgery will not help.  Surgery may actually make it worse and leave you with scarring even if you use the FUE method of harvest.  You must consider that you may go on to lose all your hair as a possibility.  There is nothing wrong with wanting surgery but you probably need to see a doctor for a proper exam before considering the option.  Photos cannot substitute for an exam.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

3,000+

Thanks for the photos. Based on your desire, you would need a rather large grafting session of at
least 3,000 hairs.  Perhaps 4000 will fill out the areas you wish to restore "dense packing".  You likely have the resources.

Tim Neavin, MD

Hair loss can continue after a hair transplant. I advise saving and thickening your existing hair with an advanced treatment

Hair loss for men is based on a genetic tendency that causes thinning typically in the temple area as well as the crown. The classification of hair loss is called the Norwood-Hamilton scale. Depending on family history, men can start losing hair as early as late teens to early 20s. There are also progenitor cells that act like a protective barrier around the hair follicle, but in male pattern hair loss, these progenitor cells stop working. In addition, even after a hair transplant, the patient may continue to lose hair which is described as the treadmill effect. So with hair thinning, we have to protect the hair from further progression of hair loss.

Currently in the United States, there are two FDA approved drugs for hair loss: minoxidil and finasteride. Finasteride, or the trade name is Propecia, works by diminishing the amount of dihydrotestosterone (DHT) that attacks genetically susceptible hair follicles and causes them to thin and eventually die. However, Finasteride may have long-term sexual side effects.

In our practice, we use a material called extracellular matrix that is derived from the pig bladder and is used for would healing. This is used in combination with platelet-rich plasma as well as with vitamin D to help reverse hair thinning. This restores the protective effect of progenitor cells by recruiting adult stem cells to protect the hair follicle. This is delivered by injection to the scalp.

In a hair transplant, the number of grafts needed would depend on the donor area: density, thickness of hair and the amount of hair available for transplant are all taken into consideration. However, I would advise you to have the ACell extracellular matrix and PRP injection first to stop the thinning, hair loss, and thicken the hair you already have before considering a transplant at a young age. I hope that was helpful, and thank you for your question.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

How many grafts do I need to cover a bald area in the photo?

The areas you have marked are quite extensive and for you to have dense packing of grafts, you would like require at least 1500 grafts.  This would be something we would want to see you in person before deciding on a final number but that would be a rough estimate based on the photos

Paul M. Glat, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon