How Can I Get Rid of Bad Scars from Breast Augmentation?

I did a breast aumentation. The doctor did a very bad job! I regret every single minute that I went to him. The damage is done. Is anything that I can do to remove the scars on my breast? He left a T - really bad scar on my breast? Is there any procedure, surgery or anything to remove the scar in my breast? Please help me.

Bad Scars after Breast Augmentation Can Be Improved with Laser and or Revision

Thank you for your question. I am very sorry to hear of your experience.

If your scars are new and pink or red then IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) or Non ablative Erbium Laser Treatments can help improve them.

If the scars are mature-over a year or two old-then surgical revision may be necessary.

Usually these scars can be improved. Of course see your doctor and ask what can be done. If you do not get the answers that you are looking for seek a second opinion with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who is experienced in Breast Surgery.

There are many things you can do to assist with scar...

There are many things you can do to assist with scar maturation such as massage, lotions like emu oil, and IPL treatments. Even left to their own devices, the scars will generally improve over 1-2 years and get even better over a longer time period.

It sounds as though your relationship with your doctor was suboptimal and that may be causing you to be extra critical of scars that are actually normal. Perhaps seeing another doctor for an evaluation would be wise and could put your mind at ease about your own situation.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Breast scar management

Thank you for your question.  Breast incisions can be managed using a multimodal approach:
1) Scar massage - starting as soon as the surgical dressings come off and the incisions are sealed
2) Silicone sheets or scar gels for about six months to year
3) Embrace - a tension reducing dressing for the first 2 months
4) Fractionated lasers to help blend the scar into the background - done as a series, starting about 4 weeks after surgery and repeated every four weeks for six months.
5) Sunscreen to prevent the scars from darkening

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

Scar characteristics are important

What is a bad scar? This means different things to different patients. It is important to look at the characteristics of the scar:size, width, height, color, texture, location, contour. Each characteristic is judged separately and treatment is customized. Unfortunately, scars cannot be erased, just modified. In general, it is usual practice to give the body time to have the scar process go through its many phases. This may take six to twenty-four months.

It is usually a mistake, or even unnecessary, to prematurely "treat" a scar. Redness will often resolve. Thickness will abate. Texture will soften. I have seen over-treatment of scars that lead to additional problems or at least more expense without benefit. There are a myriad of potential treatments (scar revision, Z- or w-plasties, silicone gel or sheeting, steroid injections, laser treatments, pressure therapies) but some carry significant side-effects or costs, promise results that are unpredictable, or may not address the specific sharacteristic you want to influence. Be patient and work carefully with a reputatble plastic surgeon. Do not jump into treatments before considering the risks and benefits.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Help with Breast Scars

I am so sorry you had that experience. It sounds as if you also had a lift (thus the T-scar).

If it is still early, less than a year, scar creams can help. Examples of scar creams are Scar Guard and Kelokote and they are available without a prescriptions.

If it has been longer than a year, bad scars may sometimes need to be revised with surgery. Seeing a plastic surgeon can help determine if that is an option.

Daryl K. Hoffman, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Scars after breast augmentation

For your individual situation, you should speak with your surgeon regarding your concerns. It is difficult to determine without pictures. However a couple of possibilities would be surgical revision or laser treatments.

Jeffrey Weinzweig, MD

It is difficult to make any conclusions without pictures of your breast. If your wound remains red or red raised, lumpy or irritated, and your physician considers them hypertrophic scars, there are interventions, which he can do to help you :- correction with laser - Fractional Erbium Laser treatment is very effective at smoothing and flattening raised lumpy incision sites. Typically 4-5 treatments 6 weeks apart are enough.
- Intense pulsed light or IPL is very effective at reducing the redness in wounds. Usually 3-4 treatments 6 weeks apart are required.
- Chemical peels, steroid injections, and silicone occlusion are also very helpful.
You can consider surgical scar revision, if these treatments do not work.
I hope this will help ..

Ercan Karacaoglu, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Bad scars from breast augmentation

Thank you for the question.  The scar will be there whether you like it or not.  It would slowly improve over time but there are some creams that you could use to improve how it looks.  Best to visit a board-certified plastic surgeon and ask for his or her advice on the matter.  best of luck.  Dr. Michael Omidi

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

How can I get rid of bad scars from breast augmentation?

It is common for scars to fully mature for up to a year. In the meantime, there are a few things that may help to ameliorate your incision/scar. The most proven (as well as cheapest) modality is simple scar massage. Applying pressure and massaging the well-healed scar has been shown to improve the appearance as it breaks up the scar tissue, hopefully producing the finest scar as possible. Other things that have been shown to add some benefit, albeit controversial, are silicone sheets, hydration, and topical steroids. In addition, avoidance of direct sunlight to the incision will significantly help the appearance as they tend to discolor with UV light during the healing process.

If unsightly scars are still present after approximately a year's time, other things that your surgeon may consider are intralesional steroid injections, laser, or just surgical revision of the scar itself.  It appears as if you had a breast lift at the same time?  Depending on the time from the procedure, some of these modalities or laser therapy may help.  However, scar revision may certainly be entertained, which could be performed at the same time as any revisionary procedure, if you are unhappy with the result.

Hope that this helps!   Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Scars after surgery

Scars take one to two years to mature (soften, lighten, and flatten) - if you are before the one year mark I would recommend scar massage and silicone sheets. It is also important that your scars not have any sun exposure.

If you haven't been back to see your surgeon to let him of your concerns, I would start there. If you are uncomfortable returning to your surgeon or have seen him without results, I would recommend seeing a different plastic surgeon to discuss your options (laser treatment or scar revision). Good luck.

Grant Stevens, MD