How long does Retin-A take to work for anti-aging?

I'll be 45 and am looking for anti-aging with Retin-A, especially around the eye area. How long does it take for thickening to happen? I'd like to increase my collagen levels. How long does it take for that? And are there any strengths better than others? I've got a few tubes of the .05 % right now.

VItamin A Creams

We typically tell patients it takes between 3-6 months to see positive change in your skin after starting a topical retinoid. This is also with consistent use of the retinoid 7 nights a week. For most patients it's best to start off with a lower strength (.02% Renova), and build up. If a patient wants to start with a .05% tretinoin we recommend first applying a benign moisturizer, and then the topical over it. Also wearing a daily SPF30+ with zinc oxide is extremely important to protect the new healthy skin that is being created. Your skin can look worse before better when acclimating, but in time this product is wonderful for improving the health and appearance of skin.

Sacramento Dermatologist

Retin A

Long term use of Retin A is great for an anti-aging protocol.

It takes several months to start seeing an effect and the benefits increase over time especially after years of use.

Keith Denkler, MD
Marin Plastic Surgeon

Timing for Retin A to work

Patients will experience results differently. Some patients will observe improvement after a month while most will see improvement after 3 - 6 months.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Retin-A (tretinoin) is an effective product for skin rejuvenation by enhancing collagen production while simultaneously reducing collagen breakdown.  The time it takes for Retin-A to work depends on the strength of Retin-A you are using and how consistent you are in using it.

The attached link provides much more information on tretinoin.

Timothy R. Miller, MD