8 days post op laser lipo, a lot of swelling. Is this normal?

I had laser lip 8 days ago (upper/lower abdomen and flanks). I expected swelling and not immediate results. My abdomen is very swollen still. It is bigger than before. I have tried to get a 5 minute check in with the doctor just to give a glance to make sure it's normal but they haven't had time in their schedule. So I pose the question to you- is it normal to be swollen to the point that your larger than before the procedure? I am following al recommendations.

Swelling after laser lipo

Swelling after laser lipo is normal and is usually at it's max around the end of the 1st week and then gradually improves over the next weeks. Around 1 month about 80% of the swelling has resolved and by 3 months usually all the swelling has resolved. Wearing a compression garment, massage, drinking plenty of water and walking are things you can do yourself to help reduce the swelling. Sometimes abdominal bloating caused by constipation from the pain medicine can make the abdomen look swollen. If you are worried that the swelling you experience is abnormal I recommend following up with your provider for further evaluation. Good luck.

Livingston Physician

Post Liposuction Pain/ Swelling -- Seek an Expert -- Start Venus Legacy, Vanquish, Exilis Ultra, Massage, Cellutone/Z Wave

It takes weeks to see the results of liposuction and swelling can last for months. Massage, RF treatments, Venus Legacy and hyperbaric oxygen will drastically reduce swelling. If swelling doesn't reduce, you should speak to your physician. Best, Dr. Emer

Swelling after laser liposuction

Swelling after laser liposuction usually starts 2-3 days post procedure and peaks at about day 5.  Everyone is different and some patients swell more than others (even worse than baseline in some cases).  If swelling is not abating or getting worse, it is important to follow up with your doctor.  Make sure to drink lots of water and walk.  Sometimes anti-inflammatory medications can help, but make sure these are ok with your surgeon before adding any medication.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon