500 grams from DD breasts. Will that be enough to alleviate the pain?

I am scheduled to have a breast reduction, and there will be 500 g at least taken out. I have very dense breast tissue, and I am pretty tall at 6'3". I struggle with severe shoulder/ upper trap pain. will a 500 g reduction be enough to alleviate the pain from DD breasts? Will that much of a reduction make me really small, or just slightly smaller than what I am? I don't care about being too small, my main fear is that I won't have enough taken out to relieve the symptoms. Thank you!

500 grams breast reduction

A 500 gm reduction from each breast amounts to a 2.2 pound total weight reduction. You should be able to feel the reduction in weight almost immediately after the operation. As to whether this will be adequate to relieve your pain and your anticipated cup size is something that should be discussed with your surgeon. Your statement that you wear a DD bra is not enough information to determine what percentage change you would have from the procedure. As an example, a 500 gm reduction could be a massive change when starting from a 32 DD whereas it might be only a subtle change when starting from a 42 DD bra. Best wishes and I hope you feel much better after your surgery. 

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

In all likelihood 500cc gram reduction in each breast will give you considerable relief from your neck, back and shoulder strap pain. 

Fred Suess, MD

Breast reductions will reduce your breasts

but cannot guarantee resolution of your symptoms and no one can tell you at what weight reduction symptoms resolve.  Most people do well with the standard reductions require by insurance companies.  But if you truly don't mind being on the smaller side, let your surgeon know you want an aggressive resection so you can maximize your chances for resolution of symptoms.  But you really have to be okay with that as it could take you down to a B+ cup.  Otherwise go for the standard reduction and hope for the best.

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast Reduction

It is impossible to answer your question with any level of accuracy or certainty. Cup sizes don't correlate with tissue removal weights or implant volumes, which shouldn't matter as this is an insurance surgery, which is medically necessary, not cosmetic.   As for your discomfort, most women find that reduction reduces or eliminates back and neck pain. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

I would recommend a goal of achieving approximately a full C cup which is very likely to alleviate neck, shoulder and back pain.  500 grams will probably achieve that for you as a DD cup but I'd rather aim for a relative cup size than an absolute weight of reduction. The loss of breast weight in addition to the reversal of drooping usually combine for a big improvement in symptoms.  The good news is that most patients have substantial elimination of neck, shoulder back pain from undergoing breast reduction and you'll likely be in that group.  Best wishes for a good result....

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

For smaller women it is possible to get significant relief of symptoms with as little as 250-300 gm removal, that would be different for a larger person. We have all seen patients where we removed far more than 1000 gm per side. But with no idea of what you look like and your proportions, there is no way to discuss your specific situation. I'm sure your surgeon, who has examined you, can answer that for you. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breast reduction: how much tissue should be removed?

Thank you for the question and congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

If I were seeing you in consultation, I would ask to look at your goal photographs; after doing so, I would be able to help you with a prediction of what you might expect in terms of anticipated weight of tissue removed. Keep in mind however that there is no specific/reliable correlation between the amount of tissue removed and cup sizes achieved.

With the goal of improving communication with my patients I find the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “B or C cup” means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Again, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.

***In your case, given your concerns, I would suggest that you  spend additional time communicating your goals/concerns directly with your plastic surgeon, prior to the surgery.

Ultimately, you will  want to feel comfortable that your plastic surgeon has a significant/demonstrable experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. You will also want to feel comfortable about your both on the same page when it comes to desired outcome.  Again, careful communication is key when it comes to achieving your desired outcome (and avoiding the need for additional surgery).

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.